1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will the last teacher out of the country please turn out the lights ?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JL48, May 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Assuming you have a point - that's what happens if you run a 'profession' down constantly. Only the idiots will apply/stay.

2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

"What are some things that she's said that makes her racist and intolerant?"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Hopkins

Knock yourself out.

I particularly like the Mirrors apology

"A previous version of this article suggested that Katie Hopkins was stopped from leaving South Africa because of the consumption of Ketamine. We are happy to clarify that Ms Hopkins was detained for spreading racial hatred, which took place after the Ketamine incident."

3. install

install Star commenter

To be fair - it’s close to that point already imho. Teaching is a job, no more and no less. The papers, some parents and some commentators and sadly even sone heads and some Ofsted types have been teacher bashing for years.

Teaching is not highly regarded imho by the general public. And teachers have been the scapegoats of society for some time imho.

4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Still too many - and with the upcoming economic crash, things may go back in their favour.

5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Regardless of whether or not it's actually true, there will come a time when a sizeable proportion of the general population believe it to be true.

You can just hear it now .... "The supermarket workers went to work to keep us fed. The bin men kept working so we didn't end up with rubbish strewn everywhere causing disease. The nurses and doctors went to work to care for our loved ones. They were all afraid, but they stood up and did what was needed at the time. We're unable to work from home and living hand to mouth, with unpaid bills and debts mounting up. We need to get back to work to earn some money. But the teachers think they're a special case, and refuse to step up and do their bit. Looks like we aren't all in this together after all."

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. Topcat1969

Topcat1969 New commenter

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

As both @a1976 and I have said, that time has already come.

This thread is not about the accusation, but rather about the consequences of the accusation.

8. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

From my own circle of parent friends and acquaintances, not a single one is intending to send their children back to school on the 1st of June. Reasons include 'It's still not safe', 'It's not going to make sense to send one child back without their sibling' and 'We are shielding a high-risk family member'.

Clearly this is a very small sample (a couple of dozen families) but it is interesting to me that so far 0% are keen for teachers to go back into school. Perhaps my area of the country is exceptional (although I can't think why it would be) but I wonder what the actual uptake will be if schools reopen next month.

Mrsmumbles and agathamorse like this.
  9. elder_cat

If enough teachers decided to throw in the towel, the education system would have to rely on whoever was prepared to go and work in the classroom, whether qualified or otherwise. Given the number of firms that are likely to go the wall or be forced to reduce staff numbers drastically, I imagine there would be a pool of people who would be prepared to try their hand at it, in return for a regular wage. The standard of 'teaching' would probably be dire. But it would take care of the baby-sitting element which many teachers seem to find abhorrent. I have to admit I've never really understood why that's considered to be a new thing. It's always been the case - certainly as far back as I can remember - that many parents have only been able to work, because schools have taken care of their children during the day.

10. elder_cat

I think the uptake initially, for reasons such as you've mentioned, will be less than many people are expecting across the country as a whole. I imagine there will be more demand in areas where both parents are employed in low income jobs or subject to zero hours contract work.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Someone needs to tell katie Hopkins that contracted teachers have been working throughout the lockdowm. They were not laid off and they were not furloughed. My sisterwas in school every day for the first 2 weeks of lockdown and has been doing 3 days in school and two working from home since then.

My nextdoor neighbours are both teachers and they too have been in their respective schools ona rota basis and have been dealing with work for those children at home the rest of the week, alongside looking after their pre-school children as their private nurseries have been closed and the local grandparents are not allowed to look after them.

12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

She doesn't care, it doesn't fit with her narrative.

Besides if she feeds the troll she can pay off the debt.

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Do we all agree that teaching as a career in England has become untouchable?

14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I told my children not to consider it, and if they did, work only in an independent school. I regard having to advise that a great shame.

15. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

I can’t believe someone would come onto a teacher forum and bash their former profession. It’s sad, and they must have nothing else to do but to treat those lovely people in this forum like they were treated.

We are educated professionals who have a high level of responsibility and I know my teacher friends take a lot of pride in their work.

To be insulted by a nobody means nothing to me because I love my job, my school and my classes and I have always found you get back what you put in, even in bad times I have had people support me. Obviously @a1976 was an enemy of their leadership team and, judging by posts on here, it was with good reason.

You need to find an outlet for that anger, it’s a good job you don’t work with children anymore.

blushingberry and letap like this.
  16. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I am a teacher. I would not recommend that anyone become a teacher in England.

It is a terrible job. MATs have destroyed any notion of education being the purpose of school. Ridiculous marking requirements, made-up reasons to not pay payrises, bad student behaviour, senior management totally out of their depth, older more expensive teachers targeted for termination and unions nowhere to be seen or heard.

Does that count as bashing?

17. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

It is a truism that if you agree with Hopkins, you need to have a long hard think about yourself.

letap likes this.
  18. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

I regularly tell my daughter she can be anything she likes except a teacher. If she even suggests applying for a PGCE I shall hide her shoes.

19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I am just leaving this short message here.

As MentalHealthAwarenessWeek begins it’s crucial we remember KindnessMatters - whether that's being kind to ourselves during these trying times or extending that to others.

Lalex123, bessiesmith2, JL48 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.