1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will the last teacher out of the country please turn out the lights ?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JL48, May 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

or out of the English state system, anyway.

Katie Hopkins tweet
    Katie Hopkins @KTHopkins
    May 15
    BREAKING NEWS 8pm Thurs Clap for Lazy-B*stard Teachers. Clap your inner thighs or bang your bingo wings together in support of bone idle teachers who can’t be ***** to teach your kids. #ClapforLazyBastardTeachers

Since when did teacher-shaming become Britain's national sport?

With a teacher shortage that just seems to have become accepted as normal (my nephew's school still can't get Maths or Science teachers that have actually studied the subject at university), do the English people actually deserve to have living breathing qualified adults 'teach' their children in the English state sector?

Yet another blow to recruitment and yet more encouragement to leave the profession if you're in it. It won't be about the union 'not letting our heroes teach'. It'll be about they'll be hardly anyone left willing to do the job.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

It's alright, we can always get them from Spain, or Poland, or...Oh, hang on a minute! :rolleyes:

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I honestly can't remember the last time I was in a fully staffed department.

If Kate Hopkins thinks its so easy, lets see her have a go

4. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Katie Hopkins is a faded has been - a one trick pony trying once again to grab the limelight, like a junkie trying to get one last hit. She once had a go at pretentious parents who named their kids after place names, she was too thick to realise that she had named her daughter "India" when it was pointed out to her.
    Ignore her, she does not represent the thoughts of the country.

5. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

But the thing is though, I definitely agree with her and so do a lot of people. And, that number is growing and rightly so. I left full time teaching in 2012 because I had to work with entitled, lazy and incompetent people, many who somehow climbed the leadership pole and pay structure to tell me and others how to be 'competent'. Katy also left out 'crass' as well, because there are many 'teacher's who I have met as a full time and supply teacher that fits that description.

TheHeadteachersOffice likes this.
  6. a1976

UMmm, she may teach people a little bit about the real world if she did go into teaching.

7. a1976

Try speaking for yourself.

8. letap

What like racism, being generally intolerant, being thick as two short planks?
    Not ideal characteristics for a teacher.

9. letap

I just have.

10. letap

You were not good enough, failing to match the standards of your superior colleagues and then post on a teaching forum because you are embittered, is a more likely explanation.

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I agree with you. If you note, that was my entire point. What actually prompted me to post this was that not just Tory voters, but sensible people who vote for non nasty parties were echoing this sentiment.

So I repeat.
    My view is that no, not at the moment they don't. My advice to any young person considering teaching would be, no - don't do it. Do something else, or if you absolutely must then go into the independent sector. But to be honest, looking at the recruitment figures, I don't really need to say anything at all.

As for those already in the job - flee for the hills! But to be honest, I don't really need to say anything there either as they already are !

So keep it up Katie and the rest of the UK population. It won't be too long until lockdown or none, you'll have to carry on homeschooling because they'll be no one left in the schools to do it for you.

12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Whilst I agree with the sentiment please don't call senior managers "your superiors".

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't think they meant senior managers. But generally colleagues who were superior teachers.

14. a1976

Explain why she is 'racist'? Why is she thick (apart from the 'naming your child after places yet named her own child India)? But if that is a negative quality, then you don't know very much about Jeremy Corbyn or Angela Raynor? Why is she 'intolerant'? What are some things that she's said that makes her racist and intolerant?

15. a1976

There is a shortage of teachers because people have better things to do with their lives than spend it working with idiots.

16. a1976

LOL! Wow, that was gold. Trust me, you don't know me at all. But since we're going there, maybe the reason you're still in the 'profession' is that you're flying under the radar or your school is too desperate? LOL, oh wow!

17. a1976

18. a1976

Keep that head buried in the sand (or somewhere else).

19. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

?

20. letap

You're right, I don't want to associate with someone who posts like a petulant child.

I suppose such people don't post on a teaching forum and then get triggered into making a fool of themselves - I believe the alt right call such people "snowflakes".

JL48 and Ivanhoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.