1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will the Job Support Scheme work?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 25, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I met the Lady Mayor of Rochester once at a social gathering. As we chatted, she mentioned that 70% of the businesses in the city employed less than six people. I suspect this will be the same everywhere.

In the years I spent running businesses, I got to know a fair number of other people who ran small businesses on a social basis. Most had been in business for over ten years, had survived tough times as well as the good ones and shared a common quality. They all believed that the success of their businesses was solely down to them, i.e. their workers were useful, but expendable if needs must. The one person, or group of people who would always be employed until the last knockings was the business owner and any family members who worked in their businesses. Understandable of course.

It seems to me that Sunak's Job Support Scheme is deluded if it imagines small businesses have sufficient compassion for their workers that they are prepared increase the cost of their labour and not be able to get a full week's work out of them, especially in difficult trading times. I remember reading articles in which the Federation of Small Businesses complained bitterly at the introduction of the minimum wage; and every time it was increased. Virtually all the businessmen I met thought I was stark raving mad for paying my workers more than the minimum wage, so I doubt they'll be taking a long-term view on retaining their workers.

But what do you think?

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Thankfully there are also businesswomen.

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

More chance of success tap-dancing on quicksand.

modelmaker likes this.
  4. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Businesses are not going to use the exceedingly generous support package put together by the government. Well you can't blame the government then can you, its the fault of the businesses. Oh look the government has also saved money, well done us. Love Domxx

modelmaker likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Fewer. ;)

sbkrobson likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think the [sic] acknowledged that.

nomad likes this.
  7. modelmaker

I can only relate the conversation we had. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to alter what the Lady Mayor actually said.

But she had a nice smile and at some point asked if I knew what a Mayor's role was. I confessed that all I knew about mares was the role they played in stud farms. She smiled, shook my hand and moved on to someone else who seemed eager to speak with her, but gave me what I took to be a knowing wink as her entourage reminded her it was time for her next engagement.

The host of the occasion collared me and said she seemed to have to have spent more tim in my company than others, so what was my attraction? Who knows? I told her a few jokes, so maybe that was it.

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

No. It's a gimmick.

9. modelmaker

I agree. A deflection tactic to keep everyone occupied until the big hit comes when Brexit destroys their jobs for good. The architects off Brexit aren't bothered about how much debt the UK is left in, other than the more of it there is, theie hedge fund bets pomise better returns.

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

:rolleyes:

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Can you explain how a larger national debt leads to better returns for hedge funds?
    That will be the Brexit you didn't try to stop by voting.

needabreak likes this.
  12. modelmaker

Nothing to comment about the question in the OP then. The only conclusion we can draw from is is that you don't read the FT.

13. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

At least in the past state school HTs were happy to pay more for an experienced, better teacher, and you didn't hear about schools full f very recently qualified teachers effectively having to run departments because the non-teaching HT had put all the experienced, well-qualified staff on capability (and that's not insulting NQTs; I've had some brilliant ones, but they'd all say that having experienced mentors helped them to become good teachers, and they'd not have wanted to work in a school where most of the teachers had only been teaching a few years).
    So no, I'd not be surprised that profit comes first, whatever the size of the firm.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

You raised the point about hedge funds and national debt. I was hoping you could clarify because it looked like you just made it up.
    The OP is really about how fab you are. As for the job support scheme the tricky part for employers to evaluate is, the increased direct costs while revenue is reduced and fixed costs remain the same. If this means losses it a question of how long that can be sustained.

needabreak likes this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

"Business" be it large or small is all about capitalism. That is making or trading something for the maximum price at the minimum cost to increase the wealth of the "owner". Part of the "minimum" cost is labour. That is how it works. I think I spat my tea out the first time I heard some Tory say "caring capitalism". By definition it is the opposite. A whole complete new "business" model is required, globally.

16. LondonCanary

Naive.
    Posturing
    (How was it you had access to tea in North Wales? It doesn't grow in your garden)