1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will schools open in full on September .... yes or no. Are we preparing for it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 20, 2020.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Exams now over so...Are we still confident that we will be starting work in the first week in September?

Already one school in Scotland has shut i think, because of Covid cases.

What seemed certain in July now doesn’t seem so clear as infection cases are back in the rise.

Are we confident that it will last the whole academic year or will there be inevitable interruptions leading to a blended form of education for our students?

are we all staying away until we have to come in for Inset?

Your thoughts...

2. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

I don't think every school will open with every pupil in attendance in September, I think some are already planning blended learning. I think some schools will close fairly quickly, particularly if several teachers test positive. As I've said on another thread, all staff and pupils at my school will be wearing masks so we might stay open longer than others!

3. red_observer

Good post. I too am concerned that sone won’t turn up... so are teachers meant to teach those in school AND those at home to the same class, for example? How tough will that be?

nomad, Sally006, needabreak and 2 others like this.
  4. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

My OH and I are both teachers. He’s secondary maths and I’m primary Y6. Last half term I taught a Y6 keyworker bubble whilst also providing the same work remotely for those at home (including HA sets in English and maths). It was exhausting.
    He delivered live lessons online, along with other remote stuff. Not easy - particularly for A-Level maths and further maths.

Neither of us can envisage blended learning at this point - particularly him. I mean, how can you deliver a live Further Maths lesson and then rush to another classroom to teach A-Level or Top Set Y11.

In my case, as ICT lead, I distributed chrome books for those kids across the school who needed them during lockdown but there simply won’t be enough to run indefinite blended learning. I also teach top sets and it looks like I’ll have 35+ Y6s in both subjects every day.

red_observer likes this.
  5. red_observer

It just can’t happen can it.
    It just can’t happen can it. Something must be done!

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I think you're going to need teams teaching in school and another doing online. I think one teacher juggling both will rapidly lead to other illnesses .
    Thing is schools leaving it close to the wire. My first real meeting is on 27th.:oops:

red_observer and Catgirl1964 like this.
  7. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Considering the GCSE results were dramatically better in the year schools were closed than they were in the previous year, surely it's better to keep kids away from school.

8. red_observer

We aren’t in until 1st sept but we haven’t heard much since July...

9. red_observer

:D:p

BW12345 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  10. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

The latest updates (13 Aug) I can find from the Zoe app team suggest that after a small rise in July numbers of cases are falling slightly.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/incidence-update-13-aug

11. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

This is my real concern. In my LA no kids went back until the 15th June with just EYFS, Y1 and Y6 followed later. My EYFS colleague taught her Bubble of 13 the longest (alongside her HLTA colleague with the other bubble) for 5 weeks, four days a week, pretty much without any proper breaks (10 mins to go to the loo if lucky). I saw how exhausted they both were. This time we are all in with 30. Again we will be with them all day every day 5 days a week with limited comfort breaks.

It’s day of doing full teaching, break duty and lunch duty every day. The one saving grace is there are no after school clubs. Can’t imagine trying to run online work for some as well! I think, infection outbreaks aside, by October HT we will be on our knees. Many of us have not done a long stretch in the classroom. If that ever happens due to illness or maternity Phased returns are recommended. It takes time to build up your teaching stamina. This will be the killer.

I am part-time as had to reduce hours due to a long bout of WRS. I’m amazed I made it back but have an exceptional job-share partner and TA who helped me through. I value their commitment to our creative teamwork approach. If I was facing a full time return in these current circumstances I would be in a major state by now - actually I physically and mentally could not do it.

We have a mammoth task ahead with the recovery curriculum and we will soon be under intense scrutiny over it. No one is going to cut us any slack.

School will stay open come what may. A case in a class will just see that class self isolate. God forbid we have a bad winter - no school would dare to shut! There seem to be no plans whatsoever to safeguard staff mental well being during this return. If folks out there have it written into their mitigation plans I’d love to know what is in place. Parental expectation will be very high to ensure gaps are closed but they won’t want to see any pressure put on their kids. That is going to be very hard to achieve.

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Our Head wants us open with everyone back. We will find out logistical details on the INSET days.

I am hoping for as close to normal as possible. How long that will last is anyone's guess.

13. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

It's all guess work and crossing fingers. Exactly what a safe return should NOT be.

14. red_observer

I still think staff are vulnerable because if schools are zoned we are moving about all year groups. Even with masks.

Catgirl1964 and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  15. red_observer

Great post

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Ive gone back today in FE. Staff work rooms exactly how they were when we left them. No perspex screens or changes to cramped office layout. No significant changes to classroom and workshop capacity either. Hand sanitisers in place but nobody regularly cleaning surfaces and we had some students coming in to enrol. No direction from SMT on mask wearing for staff or students or amount of blended learning. Staff that were previously shielding up till Aug 1st rule now expected to be back at work and in breach of contract if they are not. Business as usual it seems with a few 'keep right' signs in corridors. Not feeling safe and many people more anxious than me. Its a modern early 2000s campus and apparently we meet govt guidelines for FE so no grounds for complaint so unions told.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  17. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Do you trust Bojo to do the best thing for students-and the vulnerable adults who could be particularly harmed if we reopen schools fully?
    After the exams fiasco, won't they be inclined to push for opening regardless?
    I'm disappointed that Keir Starmer hasn't backed the NEU, who have suggested safer possibilities.

Infections are rising massively round here-and surely the only reason we've had fewer deaths is because schools are currently shut, most people are wfh where possible, and we've only recently come out of strict lockdown-so many people are still be very sensible. No doubt some will say we're panicking/afraid, or even lazy. If they lose several family members, or are left weak/with permanent disabilities as a result of catching it, I wonder what they'd say then.

18. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

There's no reason not to open and no legal standing if you don't. Almost everywhere we can normally go is open again so there is no greater risk in a school with measures in place than anywhere else in the country.

If anyone tests positive, there are government expectations in place so things will continue under the government guidance.

19. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That is Matt Hancock risk assessment logic.

Matt Hancock faced criticism today after telling workers to get back to their offices because the risk of catching coronavirus there is minimal. The health secretary said official data – which has not been made public – showed only a 'relatively low' number of people had contacted Covid-19 at their place of work.

Professor Paul Hunter, an epidemiologist at the University of East Anglia, told MailOnline: ‘If most office workers were still working at home until recently or are even still working at home, then of course office based transmission isn’t going to feature in the statistics.

For any situation to play an important part in transmission the people have actually got to be in that situation.

'Clearly the UK needs to get back to work but simply relying on data to date when many people have been working at home is not an adequate measure of risk.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...ggests-no-excuse-people-not-return-desks.html

jellycowfish and bombaysapphire like this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I expect they will open fairly close to normal.

However, I expect it to be done in such a half-***** way that there will be several issues, and at some point something will go quite wrong.

Many countries have opened schools, but with much more stringent measures in place than we will ever bother with. Even they have had issues, and we are nowhere near the dangerous period yet.

We have no meaningful protective measures in place in schools, distancing can't happen and masks are not being worn. I sometimes think we are a nation in terminal decline in all areas bar stupidity

The last thing we need is to go backwards. But I expect we will.