1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will resolutions - has anyone been involved in something similar?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, May 29, 2011.

1. I really don't want to wash my dirty linen in public so will try to keep it brief!
    My dear Dad forgot to sign his will. My estranged niece therefore has a claim on his estate. That is the law. I have already been involved in a legal dispute with her over my sister's will and have no desire to go through that again. (The dispute was none of my making). My Dad's house is pretty run down, although it is a good size and in a decent position. I don't think it will sell quickly, or at a particularly good price. I am considering offering to buy my niece out - ie taking half the value of the property plus other assets and giving her that. That will leave me out of pocket though, as I will still have to sell the house and take any loss and expenses I might incur through doing that. Emotionally she will have no investment in the house, whereas I have. I don't really feel ready to sell at the moment and that way I can deal with it as and when I like, and she gets a lovely fat cheque, which is all she will be interested in.
    I suppose I don't know what I am asking - has anyone been in a similar position? Is it reasonable to reduce my offer in light of the expenses I will incur? If this sounds mercenary, so be it - she has had no contact with my Dad since my sister's death and if I sound bitter, there you go.