1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will my gap year be a problem?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by EBF, May 21, 2016.

1. EBF

EBF New commenter

Hello all,

I finished my degree (B.Ed Primary) in the June of 2015, officially qualifying in November of the same year. Roughly 2 weeks later I moved to New Zealand where I am currently working as an au pair. With half of my time over here, and discussions over extending my contract until February/March of 2017 I am now beginning to look into where to go next.

A large part of me wants to stay in NZ. I am lucky enough to be able to claim citizenship and have been told that my degree is convertible too, however, after reading about this subject I am under the impression that to teach in the UK at any time in the future, be it 5 or 10 years, I am better to do my NQT in the UK get some experience there and then move overseas at a later date. I am happy to do this.

My main concern is will I be successful getting a job in the UK. I understand that some employers will have wanted me to go straight to my NQT year but I personally felt like I needed a break from study and work before I settled down with a job, which I would stay in for at least a year if not longer. I was graded an outstanding in my final year placement and was awarded a 2:1 so I know I'm capable of being a good teacher. Will the fact that I have been abroad and missed two academic years be a huge problem?

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Depends where you're looking. I've employed NQTs in the past coming from situations like yours, but in other parts of the country where there are plenty of freshly trained NQTs available, it's tougher to get a job.

By the way, don't fall into the very common trap of thinking that because you were graded outstanding in your placement, that you will carry that grade on to your NQT year. It's a whole new ball game as an NQT, so be prepared to work your way back up the gradings again, and don't let it demoralise you if your first NQT report and observation feedback, don't say 'outstanding'!

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I would stay in NZ and qualify there. Internationally, NZ teacher qualifications are held in high regard and I don't actually think you'd have any problem returning to England.
    Aside from anything else, you'd get to do your first years as a teacher away from Ofsted, hundreds of observations and with less class contact time.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you are currently in NZ, you might find it tricky to get a job back in the UK while far away. Not too easy to pop back for an interview and and some observed teaching!

However, do investigate thoroughly the conversation of your UK qualification. I have absolutely NO information about this, but I do wonder if not having completed the induction year may be an issue, so check it out before assuming that it can always be converted.

Good luck - it sounds as though you are very happy there.