1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will my degree get me into Primary Teaching?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cgloss, Oct 12, 2015.

1. cgloss

cgloss New commenter

Hi,

I have just started a BA Hons Physical Education course at University. I was wondering if I get primary school work expierence throughout the next 3 years and then go onto a PGCE Primary or go in a primary school as part of the schools direct programme, will my degree get me into primary teaching and onto a teaching course?

kind regards,
    charlie

2. enright1910

enright1910 New commenter

I can't see why not but getting on PGCE/Schools direct programmes are not easy so you may want to start thinking of when you will be able to gain some work experience working with children/in schools as it seems a must nowadays for the students we get in our school.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There is a PGCE Primary Physical Education course which would be perfect for you. Certainly get some experience as this will be helpful to confirm the age range you are interested in, but seriously, not a problem. Snapped up. Mind you, that's taking it for granted you have some personality and an ability to connect with children. I take it you have!
    (P.S. Primary P.E. prepares you to teach all subjects, but allows you to teach more P.E. than other subjects.)