1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will my child be bored?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kodaly, May 3, 2010.

1. Hello, and please excuse the intrusion from a Secondary bod, but I know nothing about Early Years I've got a query about my daughter...

According to my childminder, she is pretty intelligent and seems to learn without really being 'taught' - she has just turned 2 and knows her alphabet (all letter names and almost all phonetically), colours, shapes, numbers and can count to 20. She's even started to trace over shapes of letters and can recognise simple and familiar words in books. Thing is, I don't know how much I should do with her at home before she goes to school - I don't want to tread on any teacher's toes and I don't want her to be bored when she goes to school.

Obviously I can't stop her from learning at home, but I was wondering whether I should curb it a bit?

Thanks in advance,

Kodaly

2. Please dont curb it, if she is interested then let her explore and investigate. Any teacher worth their salt will enable her at her own level at school. I have 2 children in Foundation stage who are working at a year 2 level for maths and end of year one for litereacy and they are progressing well within the class regardless of being streets ahead of the majority of other children.

3. Continue to be as encouraging as you have been; she sounds like she's doing great!
    School is another world however, where social skills and new routines need dealing with too. My daughter spent her Early Years fiercely defending her right to wear the Cinderella dress in the home corner and took some time and persuasion to share what she knew about letters and numbers! All part of life's rich pattern...

4. Thanks for the reassurance [​IMG] I didn't know how much differentiation went on in EY! I know, I'm ignorant...

5. EYFS teachers are no different to any teacher ... we teach to meet the needs of the children in our class! Surely all teacher have to do this no matter if the child is 4 or 14? I'm sure your daughter will have a wonderful time and learn a lot.

6. Another secondary bod here - thanks for this thread. I was looking for something similar to get some ideas for supporting and encouraging my son. He is currently 4 and in nursery, due to start reception in a new school in sept. He loves reading so I bought him the ORT Read at Home books level 1. He's read all these and now reading level 2. He also spotted the same ORT books in the reception class room and pestered the teacher to be allowed to read them. First I knew was when he arrived home with a message and a reading scheme. He is also very good and doing addition and subtraction with small numbers and knows all his numbers identifying those in the thousands. I would like to support him and find some good web resources for him to access but I also don't want to push him too far. Any advice gratefully received.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

It sounds like your son wll be well prepared for the acaqdemic aspects of school.
    I'd recommend lots of the stuff that comes under the heading of K&U - Knowledge and underdstanding of the world. Lots of our littlies can 'do' the number and letter thing but know nothing about the world around them.
    K&U is what a lot of children lack. And, along with it, the sense of adventure that comes from playing in woods, going for country walks and making mud pies etc.
    Does your son have fun outdoors?

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

and don't forget creative ... the joys of painting with mud !

9. The approach of the EYFS is holistic, so whilst your child will be streched and challenged, the other areas of learning are considered to be of equal importance.
    Many children who come in to Reception (in our school anyway) can not do up their coat zip or get themsleves changed for PE. Also their social skills need to be built up and their knowledge and understanding of the world (e.g different culutres, a sense of time and place) also need to be developed.

10. As an Early Years teacher I feel the same as you. But some parents will come into my class assuming that because their child "Geoff" can read and count that they have got school cracked, when most of the time this will actually hinder their development at school. "Geoff" in my class is able to read all Reception HFWs and all Year 1 and 2 HFWs but he can't actually write any of them and is unable to 'read' words that he doesn't know using his phonics skills, he cant put his coat on and is unable to share anything! I feel that parents concentrate soooo much on reading and number work when children are little that they actually forget that the children are only 4!
    The best thing to do for your child is to encourage them to do other things, like other posters have suggested....arty things, playing with other children, perhaps using scissors, tracing over pictures (or letters, to learn at the same time). But I think the most important thing is to let your child decide when they want to do it, rather than making them do these things. Ooooh and climbing tress and things like that as due to H&S it's something that we cant do at school and the children absolutely LOVE it!!
    As for the assumption that in EY teacher we don't differentiate that's a little naive (even if you are Secondary). I am sure many people will agree, but I think the varying ability of children is even more noticeable in the Early Years across the whole curriculum! In phonics for example, I have children writing 2 or 3 sentences and I also have children who either can't pick up a pencil/don't know how to and can't recognise any letter sounds!! So differentiaition is a must in order for the children to continue to develop!!
    Your child will enjoy and love being in reception - just encourage them to continue to like it!

11. Hi I agree with Mrst and the rest. It is fab that your child can do these things but it is a child's attitude to learning (generally) that really matters. I have had countless children who were deemed to be 'ahead' but only in an academic sense. They found it difficult to share, their social skills were less developed, and they had little interest in anything but the things they did a lot of at home and this had a negative impact on their learning. In the EYFS their personal, social and emotional development is actually given more weighting than the other 5 areas because these are the foundations to everything else. I have tracked children past key stage 1 and often those who are 'academic' fliers in reception are quickly caught up by those children who will enthusiastically have a go at anything, love learning anything and who have been able to apply their learning to whatever comes their way. All the ideas mentioned above are fab, particularly knowledge and understandinf of the world and creative stuff, but also lots of practical problem solving, encouragement to use initiative, to be able to work independently and in a group are also very, very valuable. Just have fun, lots of it!

12. I have a little anecodote about child x that happened recently that realtes to this thread.
    X is a lovely child with caring academic parents but as a familly they have had circumstances that were more complex tham most.
    X started nursey/rec with us at about 40 months and by about 44 months parents were asking about when I was going to teach x to read; the child was not yet 4.. They were concened that she might be bored with the nursery day set up and that they felt that she was ready to read.
    I talked it through with them and persuaded them at this stage of the game, and because of x's circumstances we needed to focus on x being emotionally and socially secure. We could teach x to read at any time but it would be very difficult to re revisit these vital pse developmental stages at a later date. he child showed interest in books but at this stage did not distinguish between numbers and letters and was far form deocding. X had excellent spoken language skills.They trusted me and my balance of ci and teacher directed work in all areas of learning.
    By 52months x was on the route to reading and by 56 months and in Yr R, X was secure and at the phase 5 and 6 stage of letters and sounds, yet we still maintained the ci/ teacher direted balance as before. X blossomed in all areas and was self motivated.
    To complete Yr R and because of personal circumstances X has recently moved to a more formal independent school with focus on reading and writing and a chalk and talk emphasis.
    I met X's Mum whilst in the local gym and she told me that x has complained of being bored to the teacher a the new school, despite, and perhaps because of, a more formal curriculum driven teaching methods.

13. Good post lillyput

14. Thank you for the comments - I was actually just after a couple of recommendations of web games he could play that are tailored to his age group. He loves playing on education city.
    To"inky" - yes my son does have fun outside, he is a normal 4 year old. We often go to the park and play football/ chuck stones in the river/ feed the ducks etc. If it's wet we go to soft play with friends. He likes playing outside and jumping in puddles and fortunately has mad parents who will join in and get muddy and wet too. He also likes to dance - basically he'll have a go at anything and is a very sociable child who will chat to his peers and adults alike. He does struggle with his zip like the rest of his friends but they actually do each other's coats up encouraged no doubt by creche.
    To "Mrst1985" - I am sorry that you seem to think us secondary bods don't hold you in the highest respect. I have never assumed that you don't differentiate in EY - I know that it is done because my son is in a small group that goes into reception for phonics work and the reception teacher has put him on the ORT reading scheme. Nothing to do with me pushing him - he kept nagging her apparantly until she gave him a book. The first I knew was when the reading scheme arrived home with him!!!
    I am sorry that primary teachers seem to be so defensive and to think that us secondary bods are pushing our kids to be academic rather than well rounded. We encourage our son to do lots of different things and take him out places to experience new things. Currently he want's to be a bus driver when he grows up and to be honest I would be proud of him if he did - not everyone has to be academic. I was merely trying to find some new and varied sites that he might like so I could support what my local school is doing for him. They have been truly excellent and I would recommend his current nursery to anyone. So as I said if anyone can suggest 'fun' websites that offer games for kids this level I would be grateful.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why does he need websites? Honestly, if you were to sit and play ludo with him at weekends he'd be much more fortunate.
    I don't think we primary school teachers are being defensive. In fact, it is you who are being so. In your first post, you reeled off a load of achievements and told us that your childminder had informed you that your son was bright. I'm sure he is, though quite why you needed to tell us via his childminder I can't quite understand.
    Now you say that you were 'merely trying to find some new and varied [web] sites that he might like so that...'
    No, you weren't. You were worried that he might be bored and wondering whether you should rein in his learning to avoid this.

16. sadika

sadika New commenter

I agree - get the board games out and dominoes. Do baking, gardening, be craetive - plenty of interaction - talking/listening. Since there's a childminder involved quality time with parent/s is far more important than any website.

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Do you know how the school your son will attend in September teaches reading? Do they use ORT? (I sincerely hope not if they are following a phonics programme).
    I would question what they are doing as far as the teaching of reading is concerned.
    poissonrouge
    http://www.poissonrouge.com/digitalbutterflies
    http://www.digitalbutterflies.co.uk/

18. Now I am feeling annoyed and defensive at the insult. To correct you:
    "Honestly, if you were to sit and play ludo with him at weekends he'd be much more fortunate" we do, and dominoes and snakes and ladders and the fireman game and pop up pirate and a lot of others. He is not plonked in front of the computer but he does ask to play on it and is allowed to do so for about an hour at a time, hence the request for appropriate websites and games.
    2. "told us that your childminder had informed you that your son was bright." - get your facts straight I didn't. I told you the reception teacher who incidently has been teaching for over twenty years and is very well respected, had sent the reading scheme home because the child asked for it. I didn't.
    You were worried that he might be bored - a little yes because I don't know if his new school will do as much as his current teacher. I have to say I am MORE concerned now that he is going to be taught by idiots who don't seem to value a child will a love of learning and don't seem to want to encourage and foster this. Is it any wonder that I began the year with a class of year 7's of which 6 of them had a reading age of 8 or less!!!!!
    4. To the final poster thank you very much for the useful information. We use poisson rouge already and it's great but I didn't know about the other site so that's great - something else to play on.

Sorry for the rant but I came on here looking for genuine suggestions to make using the PC more fun and ended up feeling like I was being slagged off and told I couldn't parent properly. I may be a secondary teacher now but the thing that got me into teaching was my job on saturdays working with a nursery class in a dance school PRETENDING to be fairies and giants and all sorts of FUN, magical things. I don't need to be told to play games with my child and take them outside - that has always gone without saying as it's common sense or at least I thought it was. However, perhaps if some of you primary bods supported us parents more and encouraged children I wouldn't be faced with 11year olds who cannot read and write and who knows you might find your parents support you more too!

19. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Most of the points you are arguing against were not aimed at you, but at the OP.

That's helpful!

20. : kodaly
    Your daughter will not be bored in EY; she might be challenged to cope with schooloing but not be bored.
    School is, after all, a place where young children learn how to fit in with larger groups. They learn that the world does not revolve around them and their needs, despite being in a peculiarly egocentric phase.
    School and home responsibilities overlap enormously; children used to learn how to read. etc in school alone (with a bit of home support). Now the teacher v parent roles are very blurred which cause confusion. If only we could relax, believe in our children's capabilities and be confident about the future.Sadly we can't.
    What we need to do is take a deep breath and believe that our children are capable and competent to live and function effectively in (their) future society.