1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will MPS6 count against me in applications?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pinkpineapple, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have been teaching since 2005, but took 2.5 years out to have and look after two children between 2008-11. I decided it was time to go back last October as I was missing being in work, and had enough of changing nappies etc..
    I got a 0.4 maternity cover in a good school which I LOVE but which ends in June, and I'm now on the look out for a full time post from September. Nothing near enough to home has come up yet, but I am worrying in advance that because I am expensive (MPS6) I will be overlooked for NQTs. I think both my previous school and where I am now will give me a good reference, and I have experience of KS3,4 & 5 (lang and lit) (I'm secondary English). I have good A levels (As) and a 2:1 in English from a red brick uni. However, I have never taken on any responsibility, although I do think I am a good teacher and that my experience is valuable.
    Having had children already now (no more maternity leave needed), I am hoping to gain promotion in the next few years, either head of KS3 or 4, or even as an AST. However, none of this can happen if I can't get a job in the first place!
    How can I minimise the negative impact of being expensive?
    Thanks for any answers xx

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As a secondary head, my preference has always been for experiened staff and wherever I've had applicants who are of proven quality, they've been appointed.
    You need to play up your experience in terms of the difference you've made - give details of the value you've added with reference to results achieved, etc. You should also talk about what you can bring to the department, the support you can give to less experienced staff and so on.
    Theo will be able to add much more - but any sensible head appoints the proven over the unproven!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As MM says, experience is valuable, very valuable. But as you say, there are schools out there who are looking to save money in the short term (only in the short term, as "payscale creep" soon removes the advantage), and prefer to appoint cheaper staff.
    I agree that this is short-sighted, and I was in the fortunate position, in an Indy school, of having budgets that allowed me to appoint the very best person, whether a stunning NQT or an excellent experienced person on UPS3.
    MM's ideas about emphasising what you can bring, your "added-value" are spot on. And make the point with statistics where you can. Don't forget to mention any other contributions that you have made and would wish to make again - any extra-curricular activities for example, as well as occasions where you supported other staff.
    And while you are looking for jobs, don't neglect the Independent schools. I suggest that if you haven't already, you set up a Job Alert, in fact more than one, so that you can include Indy schools in your search. If you are unfamiliar with the sector, pop over to the Independent Forum and read the clickables inside the Welcome thread there.
    That's after you've read the clickables inside the Welcome thread here on JobSeekers!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February (Although I believe that this is now full)
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. Thank you both of you for your replies- I will certainly now focus on what I can bring to the department, and will contact my previous school for my past CVA scores to use as evidence (if they still have them). You have certainly made me feel more confident that someone out there will want my experience over an NQT's low starting pay. Fingers crossed x