1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Merkel make it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HoratioBlows, Dec 16, 2015.

1. HoratioBlows

HoratioBlows Senior commenter

Angela Merkel has been on the receiving end of a lot of criticism for allowing over a million migrants into Germany in recent months. Parts of Germany have banned the burka with the latest call for a ban coming from Bavaria. France and Switzerland of course have have already banned it where in the latter country women flouting the law can be liable for a fine of £6500. The Bavarian finance minister is calling for a ban in the rest of Germany too:

“It is first and foremost about showing one’s face. It’s about living together as a society and seeing one another. It doesn’t fit to our society to hide oneself, and it contradicts our idea of sexual equality.
    When I went to Iran I followed the instructions of the country and wore a headscarf. Likewise I expect women from the Arab world that they don’t cover their faces when they come here. Such laws don’t just apply to people with German passports.”

The EU is said to be considering an EU-wide ban on the burka which will apply to those holidaying in Europe from overseas too.

[​IMG]

Merkel is in coalition with the Christian Social Coalition who are calling for the ban and is said to be heavily dependent on their support. At their annual conference she called multiculturalism a "living lie", adding, "A continuation of the current influx would in the long-term overwhelm the state and society, even in a country like Germany". Vowing to cut the numbers of migrants she said, ‘We want to, and we will, noticeably reduce the number of refugees. With an approach focused on the German, European and global level, we will succeed in regulating and limiting migration."

The question which has to be asked is, is Merkel's stance a genuine one aimed at restoring Germany's dignity and identity which she claimed during the conference, citing the country's economic rise from the devastation of WW2, or is it simply words designed to be reelected?

Cliffedge likes this.
  2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

This thread is conflating two issues - migrants and the burka.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why not, we had other threads conflating migrants and terrorists...

4. HoratioBlows

No it isn't. The two are linked and show Merkel's apparent change of stance. But ignore the question anyway.

Cliffedge likes this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The phrase 'when in rome do as the Romans do.Why are we not entitled to a view or blielf.In out country we are effectively muzzled from holding public opinion contrary to government or organisations views.

Cliffedge likes this.
  6. HoratioBlows

This isn't one of them. But you ignore the question as well. It's a habit round here.

Cliffedge likes this.
  7. HoratioBlows

We are but people are being bullied into not exercising it.

We no longer live in a free country. We allowed it to be taken away from us. Both things.

Cliffedge and Cantandmorecant like this.
  8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Are you sure that the spelling hasn't been lost in translation

9. Duke_of_Dork

Duke_of_Dork Occasional commenter

Almost certainly dishonest and empty rhetoric aimed at getting reelected. The fact that she could even conceive of opening up the borders without a rush for the prize should discount her from any position of power other than that in her bizarre mind. She should be put in a mental asylum. As for the burqa, I'm sure she loves it really, no matter what lies she spews out *****-nilly.
    Let's have a Daily Mail article, just for balance:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ponse-growing-resentment-asylum-policies.html

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

As is your assumption we have to answer it.

11. HoratioBlows

On what?

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Anyhow... Merkel got the Time person of the year award.

What an amazing human being ... no other German leader has ever won that before... [:rolleyes:]

13. HoratioBlows

I haven't assumed anything. When someone posts on a thread it's usually because they're interested in the topic. Obviously not you who prefers to troll instead.

Cliffedge and Alf58 like this.
  14. HoratioBlows

Yes what a joke that is. :rolleyes: Do you think her stance is genuine or just for reelection?

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wow.. resorting to the troll accusation so fast... and so incorrectly. Not a surprise.

Do you like cheese?

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Of course it's for re-election... she's a politician... virtually everything they do is to get elected.

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

On this forum also.

Cliffedge likes this.
  18. HoratioBlows

I tend to agree. She seems to be intent on cultural suicide for her country. Why doesn't she do it for herself instead of trying to take the whole country with her? Seems she has dictator tendencies as well.

That wouldn't surprise me. There's so many pictures going round with her in a burqa. I this one she looks like a vampire with those deep wrinkles from her mouth. Obviously a deeply unhappy person and spreading her unhappiness to millions of others. But thanks for being only the second person to answer the question.

[​IMG]

Cliffedge and Cantandmorecant like this.
  19. HoratioBlows

I saw a great analysis of Merkel's actions over the last few months. Something she so badly needs. This guy is so accurate in his discourse.

Cantandmorecant likes this.
  20. Duke_of_Dork

Duke_of_Dork Occasional commenter