1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Will it reflect badly on me?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Brucetta, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Brucetta

Brucetta New commenter

I was made redundant from a school that I had only been at for a year last year and was very fortunate that a former colleauge was willing to offer me a job even though it was out of my key stage expertise (KS2).
    However recently I have been asked if I would be interested in returning to my previous school.
    Is it likely to reflect badly on me having - moved schools - been made redundant - moved schools and then returned to a previous job in my preferred key stage (1) all with in the space of 3 years.
    The whole situation is making me feel very stressed and part of me wishes it has never been mentioned that I could come back. The last thing I want to do is let people down but I genuinely dont know what to do for the best.

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Carefully weigh up how you feel about your current school. I would definitely agree with the previous poster and ask if there is the possiblity of moving to KS 1 there. It's worth remembering that the school you are at now helped you out of a difficult situation. I would recommend you consider the following: how have you found KS 2? Do you get on well with your colleagues? What advantages does your previous school have over the one you are at now? Why were you made redundant by them before and how likely is it to happen again?
    Changing schools isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if your original school were to make you redundant again, obviously the 2nd school wouldn't be there to take you back, and being made redundant from the same school twice might make some people ask why they chose to let you go (twice).
    Ultimately, have confidence that the decision you make will be right for you, and then focus on making it work.

3. Brucetta

Brucetta New commenter

Thank you both for the replies.
    The school is a junior school so it is not an option to move to Key stage one here unfortunatley.
    Totally agree with what you say about the school helping me out of a very difficult situation which is what makes me feel so guilty for even considering moving. I have also felt completely out of my depth in Key stage two and am not sure that I have contributed much this year anyway.
    The post would supposedly be permenant but then it was last time as well so not sure that it makes any difference.
    Once again thanks for the responses it has certainly helped.