1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will it look bad?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mishelli1990, Oct 8, 2018.

1. mishelli1990

mishelli1990 New commenter

Hi,

I am just writing for some advice really. I have always struggled with mental health and I usually am able to take a step back and work through it. But as a current NQT I am really struggling to cope. I am going to try and get a drs app for today and I am just wondering if they sign me off or anything (which I think they will) will this look really bad to my new school? I want to get through the year and I think if I don't go to the drs things will only get worse and I will maybe have to give up half way through the year.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I can well understand your dilemma, however your own health is always your priority and as you say you
    you must stop worrying about what the effects on the school/ children will be. That will only exacerbate any stress.

Many NQTs struggle in their first term, even year and you may well be surprised how many 'capable, efficient' teachers will in fact be on anti-depressants.

You are wise to get help before it does get worse, but don't anticipate being signed off necessarily.

If you're struggling, also don't forget it 'is not weakness' to admit that and ask for help from your colleagues.

gold19951 likes this.
  3. stephenwaters

stephenwaters New commenter

Nothing is more important than your mental well-being. Take it one step at a time, one day at a time. The Education Support Partnership offers a 24/7 365 days a year free confidential counselling and support service, if you need it. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

'Whatever you need, we’re here for you 24/7 including over the Christmas break. Our trained counsellors will listen to you without judgement and will help you think through the problems you are facing to find a way forwards and feel better. No issue is too big or too small.

UK-wide: 08000 562 561
    Txt: 07909 341229

Our helpline is free and available to all teachers, lecturers and staff in education (primary, secondary, further or higher education) in England, Wales and Scotland. We’re here for you 24/7, 365 days a year.

What happens when I call?

A member of our friendly support team will find out why you are calling and choose the best person for you to speak to.

Depending on your needs they might:

• deal with your call personally and offer emotional support straight away
    • offer action plan support (coaching)
    • transfer you to one of our trained and accredited counsellors for counselling
    • connect you to one of our other services such as grants or information
    • assist with referral for long term treatment (for example, to your GP)

Attached Files:

gold19951 likes this.