1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will it be better to live with other student teachers?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by weatherstorm, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi all, I guess this is a question for those who have already qualified so I hope they see it here! Thinking about where I'm going to live next year, I'm wondering if it might be better to live with others who are on a PGCE course too? Living in a houseshare with my friends is instinctively my first choice, but on reflection, if they are all working in relatively stress-free jobs which they want to leave at the office, whereas I am in school 8-3 then working in the evenings, our lifestyles might not gel, and I wouldn't want things to get fractious. Is this worth considering or am I worrying too much?
    I quite like the idea of meeting new people, especially those going into the same profession as me, who will be having a similar experience. I know people who do Teach First often live together. Do PGCE students ever seek out housing together or do most do their own thing?

2. Hi all, I guess this is a question for those who have already qualified so I hope they see it here! Thinking about where I'm going to live next year, I'm wondering if it might be better to live with others who are on a PGCE course too? Living in a houseshare with my friends is instinctively my first choice, but on reflection, if they are all working in relatively stress-free jobs which they want to leave at the office, whereas I am in school 8-3 then working in the evenings, our lifestyles might not gel, and I wouldn't want things to get fractious. Is this worth considering or am I worrying too much?
    I quite like the idea of meeting new people, especially those going into the same profession as me, who will be having a similar experience. I know people who do Teach First often live together. Do PGCE students ever seek out housing together or do most do their own thing?

3. Joeyriles

Joeyriles New commenter

Hi Weatherstorm,

I'm currently pondering the same thing. I would imagine it would be wise to live with others who have the same deadlines to meet (misery loves...)

I'm in the same boat, got my interview next week at Bath (secondary English) and am worried that I'll have to live with people I don't like that much.

4. Hi, i'm currently doing my pgce and have lived with another girl on my course plus 2 others who aren't on the course. It has definately been a big help living with someone going through the same experience, sharing ideas with each other and talking through things. But I wouldn't worry if you don't, I think its's very much a personal thing.
    Only a handful of people on the whole course live with fellow pgce students so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    ps. expect to be in school well after 3, i'm currrently leaving about 5-5.30!!!
    pps. everyone who says pgce will be one of the hardest years of your life are telling the truth...it is... but it's also the most rewarding and worthwhile too! good luck

5. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

The majority of thePGCE students I know are sharing houses with other PGCE-ers. Once offers were made last year a Facebook group was created and folks just started getting in touch with each other. It can make travel to placements and visits far easier for car sharing and certainly does help with mutual understanding of the pressures and deadlines that you are all under.