1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will I still be paid during the summer holidays?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sophiejane, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I've just moved down to England from Scotland where the education system is very different and where you can work a month's notice and move on to the next post at any time during the academic year. However, I have just obtained a new post starting in September and was wondering if I would still be paid throughout the summer holidays or if my pay will stop at the end of the summer term? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

2. I've just moved down to England from Scotland where the education system is very different and where you can work a month's notice and move on to the next post at any time during the academic year. However, I have just obtained a new post starting in September and was wondering if I would still be paid throughout the summer holidays or if my pay will stop at the end of the summer term? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

3. If you are full time or fractional and not hourly paid then yes you will still be paid. It is pro rata'd(?) over 12 months.

4. Thanks - wasn't too sure.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Errr ... given that you seem to have already stopped working in Scotland, (unless you are just over the border and are commuting) your employment seems likely to have already finished or at least will finish at the end of this month.
    If your English employment doesn't start until September, I can't see who's going to be paying you over the summer.
    Unless I've missed something ...?

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Oh ...... and welcome to TES, sophiejane. It's been a while since you joined, I see ....

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I understand it as the OP having secured a job in England for September but I assume that he/she will be still working in Scotland until the end of summer term (end of June/early July). We don't have those silly resignation dates uphere,therefore the OP would simply leave his/her old job at end of summer term,all they have to do is give 4 weeks of notice.
    Maybe I'm wrong.

8. Does that mean then that the OP won't get paid for the summer term? Unless she gives 4 weeks notice during the holidays?? How does that work? Or will the Scottish school still pay her over the holidays - as surely she will have worked a 'years' worth of term time, does the summer wage still get paid?

9. If one employment is to finish in the summer and the other is to commence on the 01 September, then, the sensible thing to do is to resign with effect from 31 August - it's how I always word my resignation letters. That way everyone is clear that you are still employed until the end of August.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not sure how much money would be due as I've never been in that situation but I imagine that she would be due money over the summer. I'm sure that the OP could easily find out how much by asking the pay roll staff wherever she works. Probably better than asking posters on TES.

11. Yes, she will be paid but possibly only until mid August rather than right up to September.

12. but, presumably, Scottish jobs can begin at the start of term ... or would the new school employ you from the middle of the break

13. I would assume that it depends on when th financial year starts and ends in each LEA. If in Scotland, you started getting paid on September 1st, I would assume you would get paid until August 31st. However, if, and I believe some LEAs do this, the financial year runs from August 1st, or some other time, like the beginning of the summer holidays, then you will get your last pay cheque then. So check with each LEA when their financial year runs.

14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

From when did you resign?

If you gave your notice to end on the last day of August, you'll get paid for August.
    If your notice ends at the end of July, you'll be paid until the end of July.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I had not noticed that! Must be getting old.

16. Meant to say that would only apply assuming you work to the end of term. If you've already moved then you probably got the holiday pay you were due in your last pay.