1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will I need a fit to work note from Dr? Two illnesses in a row

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Roboteer, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I was off work on Weds and Thurs last week with a stomach bug that my son kindly shared with me. I am part time and so shouldn't have been in work on the Friday. I did go in as had to drop some work in but am not sure whether I would have said I was fit to do a whole days work that day.
    Saturday I was ok and could have taught if it was a school day.
    Sunday I woke up with very sore throat and earache. As the day went on I got a temperature and I have either something flu like or bad tonsilitis is my guess.
    I don't think I'm likely to get in tomorrow as still got a temperature although occasionally feeling mildly human today so hope that's a good sign.
    Do I need to get a note from a Dr if I am not in tomorrow or will the fact that I was ok on Saturday be enough to separate it into 2 periods off? Not really wanting to drag myself to the Docs if I don't need to - especially as I can't actually talk at the moment so it would be an interesting consultation!
    Thanks for your replies.

2. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

I was off work on Weds and Thurs last week with a stomach bug that my son kindly shared with me. I am part time and so shouldn't have been in work on the Friday. I did go in as had to drop some work in but am not sure whether I would have said I was fit to do a whole days work that day.
    Saturday I was ok and could have taught if it was a school day.
    Sunday I woke up with very sore throat and earache. As the day went on I got a temperature and I have either something flu like or bad tonsilitis is my guess.
    I don't think I'm likely to get in tomorrow as still got a temperature although occasionally feeling mildly human today so hope that's a good sign.
    Do I need to get a note from a Dr if I am not in tomorrow or will the fact that I was ok on Saturday be enough to separate it into 2 periods off? Not really wanting to drag myself to the Docs if I don't need to - especially as I can't actually talk at the moment so it would be an interesting consultation!
    Thanks for your replies.

3. misseviltoyou

misseviltoyou New commenter

Unless you work Saturdays, it will count as a single period off. You only officially need a doctor's note if you're off for seven or more consecutive working days. How that works for part-timers varies from school to school so you might want to email in and check with the office.
    If you can't talk at the moment, get down to the doc rather than struggling in - something similar happened to me before Xmas, I struggled in, taught lessons via whispering, text and interpretative dance, and made doctors appointment for out of school hours, where he promptly signed me off for a week with laryngitis. His reasoning was that teaching is mostly talking, so if you can't talk, you're not fit to work even if you do feel "mildly human"!
    Even when it gets better, you will have to protect your voice as one of the tools of the profession, if you lose it again you're a bit stuck! Keep a bottle of water with you at all times. Lemon and Ginger tea with a bit of honey in it helps, so does Marmite or Bovril on toast.

4. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

Thanks for your reply.
    I've e-mailed the deputy head to ask about whether to get the note or not.
    I can't talk from pain at the top of my throat rather than in my voice box - think it is my tonsils that have turned into a good impression of two footballs.
    Think I am going to have to find some way around the don't drink in a lab rule next week - that should be fun!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can't you call it 're-hydration for vocal chords in need of TLC' and keep the liquid in a cupboard/ drawer etc. not drink obviously in front of the students?
    By the way, when you return -AVOID WHISPERING at all costs, as this does even more damage to the vocal chords.

6. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

Got a reply back and they are happy to treat as two separate absences so don't have to try sign language to the Doctor's receptionist tomorrow.
    Thanks for the tip about whispering - didn't know that. All I can do is whisper at the moment - trying to talk makes my tonsils hurt rather than my voicebox - if that makes sense. Might just go back to being a mute though, especially as nobody can hear my whisper anyway.
    Perhaps I should design a very long straw so that my drink can be in the next room and not in the lab, or even better the kids can problem solve it - that should be an interactive enough lesson for Mr Ofsted!