1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will I move up the payscale despite starting maternity leave later this term?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by applesauced, Oct 1, 2018.

1. applesauced

applesauced New commenter

I achieved all of my PM points last year, and if I weren't starting maternity leave in November, I'd expect to move onto the next payscale point.
    Should I still expect to move up the pay scale this year? We don't usually see the pay increase until December, which is backdated to September.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes. If you would have moved up from September if you weren't going on ML then it would be illegal discrimination under the Equality Act to withhold the pay rise because you are.

3. applesauced

I thought and hoped that would be the case. Thank you for your reply!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. applesauced

I need some further advice about this. I have emailed my head and phase leader about a performance management meeting. My head confirmed that I should have a PM meeting. My phase leader has got back to me. For the next two weeks, I have been timetabled to capacity and nothing is on the calendar to show where my PM meeting might take place. I have emailed my phase leader offering to have my PM meeting during PPA but she hasn't responded to that email either.
    I'm really worried that they are trying to avoid this meeting in order to avoid giving me a payrise. How should I proceed?

5. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

Do keep pushing for a meeting, but I would also gather all the paperwork / evidence that proves you met your targets etc. You could present this in an email. It would be grossly unfavourable treatment not to move you up.
    You absolutely should go up.
    The more complicated part is whether you go up next year. Technically you should create targets that are achievable in the time you are at school this year, taking into account maternity leave. This might be more difficult to fight, as you presumably don't have targets yet.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

When I was a head I was told that you had to accept time on maternity leave as a successful performance management period or else you would be discriminating. So a mainscale teacher went up a point whilst on maternity leave and an upper scale teacher had it credited as one of the two years she needed for further progression (as the system was then).

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Current DFE guidance on this here.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Your head has agreed that there should be a meeting, so I wouldn't worry too much. I think if they fail to hold your meeting before maternity leave starts, they would not really have any grounds to withhold the rise. Probably your phase leader is just a bit swamped at the moment.
    As Atwoodfan says, gather together your evidence. Attach it to an e-mail to your phase leader and head, saying something along the lines of "I'm hoping that we can fit my PM meeting in this side of half-term, in case the baby arrives early. Just in case not, I've attached the evidence that I met my targets, so that if my meeting hasn't happened before maternity leave starts, you are still able to process my movement up the pay scale."
    This coming year is more difficult. If there were longer left before maternity leave, I would suggest nominating some targets yourself, achieveable before maternity leave (eg if you were going at Christmas, but there probably isn't time now to set something which is still in the future.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There's what should happen by rights and what might happen because people don't get their act together.

I think the onus is very much on you to keep nagging away. Nicely. But persist. It's not a matter of much importance to anyone but you. Do everything advised above but don't just wait. Apply pressure until it gets done.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. surf kitty too

surf kitty too Occasional commenter

I don't wish to high jack the thread, but what happens if you don't get a PM meeting before 31st October? Do you automatically go up?
    Asking this because I was invited to a meeting this week but it got cancelled (by them not me), and was rescheduled for next Tuesday 5-6pm! As that is outside of school hours I politely declined it....but not many days left now due to half term.

11. applesauced

I am currently on M5 and should be moving to M6 from the start of this academic year (having met my targets). I don't expect to move onto UPS while on maternity leave and will be happy to return with M6 salary next academic year.

I will do as @frustrum advises, and send another email with evidence attached to support my entitlement to move onto the next pay bracket. I will CC the head into the email. I agree that my phase leader is completely swamped (not just at the moment. They are swamped all the time).

Thank you so much for everyone's continuing advice!

agathamorse likes this.