1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will I lose my accommodation package in Dubai if my husband gets a job?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by fixthesky, Feb 8, 2018.

1. fixthesky

fixthesky New commenter

Hi,

I apologise if this has already been asked but I'm having trouble finding any information about it!

I'm thinking about applying for teaching jobs in Dubai and bringing my husband as a trailing spouse. I understand that he can get residence visa through me but if he decides to get a job over there (he's in marketing - not a teacher!) would I still be entitled to the housing and flights package? I thought I read somewhere that if he also gets a job over there I wouldn't be allowed the free accommodation any longer. Would the school ask us to leave the provided accommodation if he got a job over there?!!

How true is this? Does anyone have any experience?

Thank you xx

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

The family should only have one package at a time so probably he wouldn’t be offered one and you would keep yours n

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. fixthesky

fixthesky New commenter

Hello, thank you for your reply! So are you saying that as my trailing spouse he would be unlikely to find a job in Dubai in marketing or a similar field? Thanks :)

4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

It depends. I don't know about the visa situation, but I'd say if the school had a vacancy in marketing (they are businesses, remember) he'd probably have a good chance. Some schools might look to adjust allowances so there's no duplication but you'd probably need to check with them.

5. gulfgolf

I meant he would be unlikely to be offered a package.
    The ME is pretty strict overall about one family - one package. If you have a package, he might get a job, but not a package. Unless you simultaneously give up your package.
    There are marketing jobs in Dubai. They may not pay what you hope.

6. fixthesky

fixthesky New commenter

Ah I see, thank you for your response!

7. fixthesky

fixthesky New commenter

Thank you, there are a few non teaching roles that he meets the criteria for. Good food for thought!

8. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

My husband and I were originally looking at Dubai but have now decided to go to China. He works in marketing too and there are tons of jobs in Dubai that he would have been well-qualified for. Plenty are for English-speaking roles and Arabic is not required.

9. Sandpit2014

Sandpit2014 New commenter

This completely depends on your school. Some schools will change your status to a 'local hire' and you will lose everything besides your salary. Some schools will take away some of your benefits, depending on what your husband gets. A few schools will not change a thing and you will keep everything - but this is not common. I would ask once you get a job offer.

10. VS400

VS400 New commenter

Any clue as to which schools don't change your status or take into account what partner receives?

11. NYA_23

NYA_23 New commenter

Hi GulfGolf - helpful to know that ME is strict on one family = one package (thanks for the info, as I would never have envisaged this). I don't suppose anything has changed on this since you posted the comment a year ago? My husband (not a teacher) has been offered a job in Dubai (should we accept, we'd be relocating from UK). I was considering trying to secure a primary teaching job before we move so I could also get a package to add to the one my husband would get. Sounds like this might not be possible, given what you're saying. Still may be worth getting a job as a local hire, as we have two primary school aged children.

12. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

My colleague was in exactly this situation with his wife. His wife was offered a package but it was less the one we get at school so he kept his and his wife declined it. She did use that as an opportunity to negotiate a higher salary though - IIRC the offer was around 7.5k a month housing package and she managed to get a salary increase of 2.5k - not sure how common that is though.

13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Many ME countries now have this one work visa/family rule. It is to prevent money been shipped out of the country on mass! The governments of the ME want you to earn money and spend money in their country to gain the economic benefits of the expatriate community. A husband and wife on a FULL PACKAGE each could send at least one full salary home, where does the ME country benefit from that!

Earn your money in our country and spend your money in our country is the ME motto now.

14. mungomango

mungomango New commenter

There is nothing in the law of the UAE/Dubai that says there can only be one package. This is up to individual companies/schools to make a decision on. Obviously it is cheaper if you don't sponsor someone as you don't give them flights/housing/insurance and their husband/wife can sponsor them instead.

In schools there are many married couples who just get one apartment/housing allowance. However, like a previous commentator mentioned it is totally possible for you to have an international package and for your husband to have one. In fact, if your husband works in marketing it is likely that his salary and package probably isn't split so much, but he gets a lump sump each month. Bits are aportioned to "housing", "flights" etc but all that does is mean that it reduces the gratuity you get at the end of your employment. So if he earns 30,000 AED a month maybe 20k is the wage, 8k is housing and 2k is flights/phone allowance/car allowance etc. It doesn't mean for him that is what he spends it on. It just means that when he gets his gratuity he gets it on the % of the 20k each month not the 30K.

If YOU as the teacher come out here (I live in Dubai) on an international package with all the benefits it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will have to give it up once your husband gets a job. Especially if you are doing a good job and they want to keep you.

There are some schools which draw a firm line here, but I think in most cases these days that is not the case........

15. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i have seen the "double dipping" clause in many many places. i have known of teachers in the same city, different schools only getting one accommodation allocation. in this case, if your husband gets a job after you, his company may not offer him certain parts of a package based on you having it.

16. gulfgolf

Nothing really has changed that I know of.
    As foreigners, you will need visas to live and work in the UAE, which helps companies keep track of who has packages: if your spouse applies for a job while already holding a residence visa, they may not know for sure that your family has a package, but they can guess and explore. Many companies will simply not offer packages to someone in this situation, while others may negotiate with your spouse's company about sharing the package between them.

17. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

18. NYA_23

NYA_23 New commenter

Thanks everyone. Really helpful to have that confirmed! If I do get a teaching job in Dubai as a 'local hire', I do have one child that is of pre-school age (plus two at primary school) - does anyone know of any British primary schools with decent nurseries within or near it? I'm doing some online research but always useful to get some local knowledge! Thanks!