1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will I got a teacher job?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Timea79, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am an EU citizen and I live and work here in the UK. I'm working as a welfare assistant and doing volunteer job int the school. I've finished with a Teaching Assistant NVQ Level 2. Also I got a place on a Foundation Degree course which I'll start from September. After the Fd I would like to top up to a Degree and qualify as a teacher. Will I ever get a teacher job? I'm asking this because the English is not my first language. I started to learn the English 2 years ago -and still learning- and my tutors say that I am making a great progress.

2. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

We use supply teachers who's command of English is not as good as yours so YES go for it. Practice makes perfect!

3. I hope not. Teachers should have a very good command of English. You cannot even spell the title of your thread.

4. [
    Grammatical error.

Sorry to be old fashioned, but I like my children's teachers to be able to speak good English. I also expect my taxi driver to have a licence, my GP to have a good grasp of medicine and my mechanic to know a bit about engines.

5. I would say being able to speak 2 languages is extremely benficial and I see no problem in you getting a teaching job. It will be several years before you would be qualified and I bet you will be an expert in English by then. One of the nicest teachers in our school is Polish. She is fabulous with our EAL children, having a much better understanding of the difficulties these children face. She is also excellent with our many Polish children in school. I know many younger teachers who are rubbish with grammar and spelling and how on earth they get to be teachers I do not know! Keep up with your dream and go for it! Good luck!

6. LOL! Spelling is not my strongest point! ;-)

7. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

<address>I love this! How many of us speak the 'Queens' English? How many accents and dialects change the way English should be spoken? OP's Engish is good . By the time he/she qualifies in Teaching it will probably be better than a lot of us! </address><address>''Oy ay sayin moy ingish is good bu wor oy teych is grrayt. tara a bit ( :''</address>

8. Hey, I agree that was rude, especially since I have just read a post from a teacher on here which states "Rolls and Responsibilities"
    To the O.P.
    A PGCE post compulsory may enable you to teach a variety of subjects including your mother language. I agree with the poster above, go for it and good luck

9. So rude and so uncalled for! I hope this person gets the teaching job they are longing to do because they have more passion than those that go to uni get a degree and go straight back into school. You will enrich the children's lives more by sharing your culture with them so go for it and good luck x

10. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Wow you only started learning English 2 years ago! I only wish I could speak, read and write a foreign language as well. Good luck.