1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will I get paid for Christmas hols if I resign now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kross121, Oct 28, 2018.

1. I'm planning on giving my school my notice of resignation on the 31st. This would mean my last day would be December 31st, would I get paid up until this date only or also for the second week of Christmas holidays? I want to budget accordingly as moving from Yorkshire to the midlands with no job lined up won't be cheap.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

It depends what sort of school you are in but if a LA school then it would normally be 31st Dec but you could try negotiating with your head teacher.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Burgundy Book resignation means submitting before 31st October to leave at 31st December. Explicitly mention 31st December as the end of your employment.
    I doubt that any school will pay you for part of the first week of January. The Spring term starts on 1st January for employment purposes.

As you are moving out of the area you are entitled to sign on for Jobseekers' Allowance, or whatever the new benefit is called.
    If you have an NI record for the tax years 2016/17 and/ or 2017/18, you will qualify for the contributory (non-means-tested) benefit for 26 weeks whilst you look for work. You must declare that you are looking for f/t work. You will be asked to account for why you gave up a job in the previous 12 months. Moving out of the area (partner's work/family commitments etc) are allowable reasons not to be penalised by the Benefits Agency.
    If there is no income (or low income) into your household, and savings are low, you might also qualify for means-tested allowances such as Housing Benefit, Council Tax Relief, free dental and optical treatment and prescriptions.

Signing on is alos possible even if you don't qualify for payments. It will give you NI credits towards your future benefits and state pension and will lessen the amount thAT you would need to pay to make up NI YEARS WITH VOLUNTARY PAYMENTS

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You will be paid your usual monthly salary at the end of December. Nothing thereafter.

Piranha likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - paid until the end of December