1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will i ever get selected?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Pink Princess, May 20, 2011.

1. I have been to another job interview today and again have been turned down because of my lack of management experience. I have applied for jobs that are not beyond my reach but just don't seem to get selected on the day. I am currently in a management position in my school but not leading a team.
    I am getting so frustrated as if they think i can't do the job then why are they shortlisting me in the first place! My head is most certainly hitting the glass ceiling - if i need the experience why won't anyone give me the chance to prove what i can do?
    Rant over!

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

You sound so much like me! That's all I can say ... [​IMG] if that's any consolation!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have a similar problem. Currently driving me nuts!

I have had management posts, middle and senior. I have worked in a variety of schools and in a variety of middle management positions. However I moved house and so moved to primary from middle and so it is as if I have no experience or skills at all. I too have a role which involves managing others, but have no current TLR and my job title in mere 'classteacher'. So getting anything more than a TLR, rather below what I think I should have, is proving tricky.

At the risk of sounding sycophantic (Bleugh!) the 'getting into leadership and management' seminar (or some such similar title) last weekend, with Theo, was extremely useful and I do feel much more positive about getting a post either for January (if something really perfect comes up) or next summer. It also gave me enough confidence to have a chat with my HT about what I could do next year as a specific whole school role in order to improve my chances next summer. Still no TLR or leadership job title, but hey better than nowt!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you are getting interviews, then you are presenting your experience well in your application. You just ain't doing the same thing in your interview!
    As Minnie says, in the seminars we look specifically at how to present yourself in interviews. But if you can't make it there, do read the Interview tips in the Welcome thread.
    These could just help you make a difference on the day.
    Best wishes
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. They said that i interview well its just my lack of experience.
    I have a TLR, lead a subject and am in charge of professional development and am taking part in an NCSL course - not sure what else i really need to do.
    Feel as though i am banging my head against a brick wall - can you suggest anything else i can do to get ahead.
    Im not necessarily in it for the money just the role to get the experience

6. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I think that the problem, certainly for HOD posts in core subjects (which i am applying for) are contested very heavily by current HODs and by consultants who have had their posts cut due to cutbacks.
    This part of Pink Princess' post resonates very strongly with me:
    It's just so difficult when you know you have an excellent application letter, loads to offer the post and get that across at interview but when it is all boiled down - someone else HAS done it while you are saying you WILL do it
    [​IMG]

7. There was a consultant at one of the interviews that i went to this week! How on earth are the rest of us supposed to get jobs when they are applying too?!?
    The whole process is really beginning to make me doubt my ability to teach and manage and whether or not to believe everyone when they say that i am as good as i am.
    Looks as though im stuck where i am for now - awful when you really don't want to be there!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Because you have recent, up to date teaching experience and they don't. When was the last time a consultant stood alone in front of a class all day?

You were interviewed which means the school did not automatically want an ex-consultant.