1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will history repeat itself but on a global scale?

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by PeterWR, Sep 13, 2020.

1. PeterWR

PeterWR New commenter

I would like to share an interesting article that I found and invite you to reflection and discussion.

https://daily.jstor.org/plague-and-protest-go-hand-in-hand/

2. PeterWR

PeterWR New commenter

3. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Those who forget History are condemned to repeat...exactly what a friend of mine said when she was disgusted by the people who decided their right to protest was more important than the lives that would be lost if they spread the virus. She was also annoyed that it was mainly white people (in her area) doing this, yet felt that she, as an Indian woman, would get the 'blame' that the white people avoided.
    Back then, protesting might actually have saved lives. This time, it endangered them-of all my family and friends, which includes many 'different races', nobody felt the protests helped in any way, unlike, for example, Mrtin Luther King's.
    At least they couldn't spread anti-vax propoganda on Twitter back then.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. PeterWR

PeterWR New commenter

It does not take great insight into history to see that whenever the choice between freedom and security gained a dominant position in thinking, mankind has paid with millions of victims for it. Both of the most monstrous products of European political culture - fascism and communism - arose as the political embodiment of this alternative which, by encouraging people to give up freedom in the name of security, inevitably created a monstrous danger to those it was just meant to protect against it.
    Security measures - as long as they are accompanied by restrictions on freedom - tend to become a source of danger to those for whom they were just meant to ensure security.
    The greatest danger of this path, however, is that when it is believed, it is hard to do the other way around, until a total catastrophe occurs.
    This confirms the famous thesis of Benjamin Franklin that "those who give up their basic freedoms in order to gain some temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security."

Recent restriction of freedom of assembly, religion, movement and various aspects of personal freedom such as freedom of speech (which, as more and more often are heard, is abused under the pretext of fighting misinformation, fake news or hate speech), causes mass protests all over the world. These protesting people of all age groups hug and cuddle each other, and come back for the next month after a month. Even stronger!

Please do not think that I want to persuade anyone to join any protest. I'm not going to take part in them either.

5. PeterWR

PeterWR New commenter

They certainly expressed their views in a different way. It is a pity that you are not an advocate of freedom of speech and opinion.

This is the kind of protest I can support ...obviously, as long as I'm allowed to