1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will head teachers Not short list you if you don't visit prior to applying?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pottyparrot, Feb 29, 2012.

1. I am in placement at the moment and very busy with pgce work, but all of the jobs I am applying to say they offer visits. I would love to visit them all, but I have placement commitments so I can't visit all of them. A girl I met at a visit said a head had told her if you don't visit prior to applying they will automatically cancel you off the list, is this right?

2. When I was applying for jobs two years ago, I was offered interviews at two places I had not been able to visit.
    I made sure that I mentioned in my covering letter that I was sorry I had been unable to visit, due to current teaching commitments, but that I had enjoyed visiting the school's website. I then found something positive to say that I noticed from the website.
    One of the two interviews, I didn't get the job. The other I withdrew from because I was offered a post elsewhere.

3. I'm sure this is the case with some schools. Personally, I tried to visit as many schools as I could but some weren't possible to visit due to distance from placement school and time of visits. I explained this in my letter of application that I was in my final placement so I couldn't make the visit- I think it's important to explain why- it's not that you haven't made the effort. I got an interview and the job at the school which I wasn't able to visit so it's not always the case! Make sure you do your research on the school though, their ethos/mission statement etc, because then it shows the head that although you couldn't go you have spent some time to look at what their school is like and how you could suit it. Good luck!

4. The only time I have ever had an interview having not first visited the school was when I was on placement - over 200 miles away. Whatever you think of it, you really should visit if you want areal chance.
    We could take time off uni/placement for school visits and interviews. People who were looking for a job in the area were always swanning off early for these. Can't you?

5. Many of the schools I have looked into applying to recently are so inundated with requests that they are not accepting visits until after they have shortlisted.
    I have decided not to apply to these schools.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't offer visits until after the shortlisting process rather than have dozens of candidates wandering around school.

7. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I think this thread just shows that every school/head does it differently. Certainly asking to visit shows a good attitude, but it is not possible to visit every school prior to applying. I like the advice given about visiting the website instead, as that shows that you are not merely making 'cookie-cutter' applications.
    Also worth referring to something positive in their most recent OFSTED report as well, btw. I was always impressed when applicants had bothered to make it a personal rather than blanket letter.

One final pet hate - PLEEEEEASE don't tell the school that you enjoy reading, walking, cinema or going out with friends. If I had a pound...you'd be amazed.I probably need to lighten up!

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

In my last two appointments I didn't visit prior to interview.
    Well, to be specific, in my last job I wasn't interviewed at all. I was invited to visit and was offered the job at the end of the visit.
    In my current, I didn't visit the school until the day of the interview.
    It is a good idea but not essential. The best candidate will always get the job, whether they've visited or not.
    I have to say, the sight of a crowd of hopefuls all trying to outdo each other in the 'trying to look eager' stakes always makes me cringe.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

and please check your spelling and grammar

10. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Absolutely! Better still, get a trusted friend to do so - it's always easier to see other people's smelling pistakes.

11. No.
    A visit is not part of the shortlisting process - and is not in the person spec. Any decent head should realise that if you have commitments or are working far away you cannot look around every school.
    HOWEVER - look at the website, do your research and DO DO DO personalise the application and GET THE NAMES RIGHT.
    I have read so many with the wrong Head's name, a different school mentioned in the application etc.
    If you do get shortlisted - I would strongly recommend a visit then! If you have to do a lesson - PHONE UP and ask for details of the class - it shows professionalism and a willingness to cater for all needs and utilise staff appropriately! It may feel like a demo lesson of your skills - however our children still deserve a quality differentiated lesson - therefore phone up and ask for details of the class - any decent head will put you onto the class teacher who will give you details of SEN etc.