1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will extending the NQT induction period to two years help recruitment and retention?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 2, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Critics fear that increasing the time for NQTs to gain QTS could lead to more scrutiny:

‘Doubling the time it takes for newly qualified teachers (NQT) to complete their induction could backfire unless it is done properly, a conference in London has heard.

The Department for Education is currently working on extending the induction year for NQTs from one year to two years and introducing an early career framework for this period to “provide more time for teachers to develop their knowledge and skills”.

But there are fears that the change could be “hell” for some teachers and could drive staff away if it means more scrutiny rather than more support.’

Is it a good idea to double the induction period for NQTs? Will it help recruitment and retention or put people off training for or staying in the profession? Did you find your induction a positive or negative experience, and why? Do you think the process was a supportive one or more about scrutiny?

https://www.tes.com/news/teacher-retention-fears-over-two-year-nqt-induction

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I doubt it - might well put off people from 'gambling' on becoming a teacher (knowing that they have 2 years insecurity)...UNLESS accompanied by a significant pay rise. And we all know that's not going to happen...

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

The cynic in me thinks that this move has nothing to do with improving teaching quality, and everything to do with making it easier to exploit and bully NQTs for two years instead of one.

4. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

5. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Don't think this will help. I think they need to offer more genuine support for the Teach First and School Direct routes who, quite naturally, find it a bit of a culture shock when thrown in at the deep end in year 1.

6. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

It might for 1 year, then those who have done the 2 years will flee.

It still all boils down to:
    Teaching was fun and enjoyable, now it is just tick box management in majority of places and WOW, if you do not meet your targets, say no more,
    If your face does not fit you are out.
    If you start costing money you are out.
    If your nose is not brown, you are out

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Seconded

8. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I think it will make things worse, because the onus will be on the NQT to pass more assessments/standards/evidence, rather than on training providers, schools and mentors to actually train and support new teachers.

Lots of us don't enjoy the PGCE, so the thought of 2 years post-PGCE might persuade some to drop off the course.

Lots of us struggle during the NQT year - if it was 2 years many might choose to leave rather than endure that hell.

Currently, if a school doesn't like you/think you fit in they can tell you by Easter that you'll fail, and pressure you into resigning, so you're gone by July; what will happen if it's a 2 year induction? Even more unscrupulous measures and bullying to force your hand?

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If they make it 2 years then the vast majority of teach firsts won't make it!

10. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

No, not a good idea. Teachers do take a couple of years, in my opinion, to get to grips with the job, but having SLT breathing down your neck and scrutinising every thing you do isn’t going to help.

I agree with Bluesky - this puts the onus on the NQT to prove they’ve reached the required standard, which they’ve clearly already done by passing their training. Given the shortage of teachers, we really should be investing time and money in supporting NQTs in the early years of their career, not making it harder for them to survive in the job.

All this emphasis to ensure qualified teachers meet a certain standard is a bit of a joke when academies can (and frequently do) stick anyone in front of a class. As long as they’re upright and breathing, and clutching a DBS certificate, of course...

Now, start talking about close and frequent scrutiny of the SLT’s ability to do their job, and I might be more interested!!

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Perhaps it will make no difference at all. The Teach Firsts do stay for two years and then 60% of them leave compared to 33% of others. You’d ask why we keep it, but it is a well funded route for mnay who have no intention of staying in the profession hence its name.

BetterNow and curl88 like this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Ahh but just like "support plans" it will be argued that a two-year induction IS supportive.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.
  13. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

I work in foundation training for doctors in their early careers. I actually think a proper "rotation" system like we have in medicine in the first two years would be a great idea. 6 months in primary, 6 months in secondary, 6 months in affluent area and 6 months in rough area.
    Would certainly help open the eyes of some to the circumstances others work in.
    My dad taught secondary for 40 years but did a one day placement in reception early in his career which he says gave him great respect for early years teaching as he found it relentless!

BetterNow, agathamorse and yodaami2 like this.
  14. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

How could two years probation be easier to sell to prospective teachers than one year?
    Mad world.

15. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

a very good idea. Or perhaps we could get more teachers doing proper training at college/university and stop pretending that a few months on PGCE can turn a part time student into a full time teacher.

16. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

It would be interesting to see how many NQTs are failed by one school, then qualify successfully at another.

17. woollani

woollani Established commenter

More scrutiny!

That should fix state education.

Grandsire, BetterNow and agathamorse like this.
  18. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

My PGCE course was meant to be like that. Two placements, one in a school where challenging behaviour was not an issue and one where it was. As the second placements were being arranged it became apparent that most of those who had the softer option in placement one were getting a different softer option in placement two leaving the rest of us to be place in another challenging school. A number subsequently admitted that they had said they would not accept a more challenging environment than they had already had.

Providers have their own targets, retention being one of them and they will do what is necessary to keep everyone on the course so I can't see that working. They do need to look at their entry policies though, some very well qualified and lovely people who are wholly unsuitable for teaching are incurring debt and having a year of their life wasted because the providers aimis to fill their course.

yodaami2 and agathamorse like this.
  19. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

Just an excuse to keep well qualified late-joiners at the bottom of the pay scale because they're "NQTs" despite having (in one case I know of) >20 years industry experience and three years working as a UQT pre-PGCE. If I was in her position I could swallow being trapped at the far bottom end of MPS if I knew it was just for a year post-PGCE, but to be so eye-wateringly well qualified, in her 50s and to expect two years of the NQT label I think I'd just say stuff it.

20. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

If they’re going to scrutinise anything about the NQT year it should be the quality of mentoring provided.