1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Will excessive salaries become a thing of the past if academy trusts have to justify CEOs high pay?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 6, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Are you convinced that challenging trusts will make a difference to trusts paying six figure salaries?

‘Twenty-eight academy trusts have been ordered by the government to justify salaries of more than £100,000.

The academies minister, Lord Agnew, has written to chairs of trustees today in a bid to curb "excessive" salaries.

The trusts have been asked to provide extra details on the pay of executives who earn more than £150,000, as well as those earning £100,000 if two or more people in a school command a six-figure salary.’

Do you welcome the move by the government? Do you think more should be done to curb the high salaries?

https://www.tes.com/news/revealed-28-academy-trusts-ordered-justify-ceo-pay

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Did they not do this some time ago and did they just ignore the government. Surely the government has created this monster and it’s down to them to kill it.
    After all they are autonomous organisations who have been given taxpayers money to spend as they see fit.
    Academies are poor value for money with too many people at the top feeding from the same trough. Schools work because of the classroom teachers and support staff and this is where the most damage has been done. The government just seem to be incapable of making the necessary decisions to put things right.

agathamorse, blazer, Jamvic and 5 others like this.
  3. FredfromFrance

FredfromFrance New commenter

what does 'justify' mean? These types are great at spinning the subjective yarn and could cobble together an infinite supply of 'justification' in no time.

I completely agree with applecrumble and the more I think of those at the trough, the angrier I become!

agathamorse, Jamvic and stonerose like this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Are they not private companies? So they can simply ignore the govt. Surely the government has created this monster totally agree

agathamorse, Jamvic and stonerose like this.
  5. Teslasmate

Teslasmate New commenter

Of course this won't change anything. This absurd system is what the tories want. Privatized schools with megabucks being paid to their friends and a pittance for the plebs that actually do useful work.

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

MATs are businesses. Somebody needs to be making money or MATs would not exist. The salaries are an affront to decent honest teachers who are denied 1% rises on trumped up reasons.
    For me , the bigger issue is the blatant misappropriation of funds. Employing friends and relatives as “consultants” , awarding contracts to friends and relatives, awarding bonuses and pay rises to themselves. No oversight and a massive trough to get their snouts in makes stealing money meant for the education of children inevitable.

7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

This is the part that really annoys me and some of these CEOs just run 5 or so schools.

8. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

It won’t work. Next...!

agathamorse, Jamvic and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Market forces.

10. install

install Star commenter

And then you have Ofsted types who get a big bonus too...and mps who have lors of other jobs.

The focus needs to be on teacher pay and hours - but it will never be that way. So excessive pay abounds for many of those in education that claim to care but do not teach...:p

agathamorse, Jamvic and Mrsmumbles like this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Agreed, but the rot’s already showing, even in the posh independent schools. As J B Priestly’s great Inspector said, we are all connected. Mainscale teaching staff in HMC and GSA schools are also feeling the pinch and the jackboot. It’s not just the academies. Many teachers across all sectors are now quitting and not staying in teaching. So...pushy poshie parents CAN pay their twenty grand a year in school fees, but their kids still see me after school for tuition...that’s quite a sign, isn’t it? The problem is widespread and is affecting the one percenters now. Lots of staff turnover. Lots of uncertainty, it’s just magnified in the academy sector. So this generation coming up is under educated and missing out, whatever sector school they attended. Yes, fine, mummy and daddy may be wadded rich academy CEO bosses, but they too will be affected...underperforming kids. Yep, we’re, all connected. We all need good teachers, doctors, nurses and care workers. Now whether this is enough to make these overpaid parasites actually do the decent thing is beyond me. But they are starting to feel the ripple effect, for sure. Just wish they’d feel the P45 and ‘ enough of your b.s, you’re fired’ effect as well.

12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

So the growing Nation of Undereducated continues. Sad but inevitable.

agathamorse and install like this.
  13. bertiehamster

bertiehamster New commenter

There's one on the list who runs 2 schools.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just like when the bank's were told to justify top salaries they just said they paid the market rate. So if mat ceos get 150k+ then that is the market rate.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  15. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Very excessive salaries for those at the top are to become a thing of the future.
    Lower pay and conditions for us serfs will pay for it.
    Brexit will enable it further.

16. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

...and (potentially) hardly anyone, regardless of political beliefs, shall stop or prevent them from such gains, as legislators shall formulate more complex rulings and rights in such investigations.

17. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I saw a husband and wife team on Warwick Mansell's site this week. Husband is CEO and wife is deputy CEO. There are ways around these limits.

agathamorse and Scintillant like this.
  18. FredfromFrance

What we need to know first is actually this: what do these people ACTUALLY DO?

I'm serious! What does a CEO offer to a HT? What does a consultant do for a teacher?

At one of my old academies they employed £50,000+ people as 'academy subject leads' and every now and then they would do a learning walk.... Apart from that, there was no actual impact. We weren't given any help, no resources made for us, not even a scheme of work! They didn't come in to give personalised coaching or disseminate the latest research, they simply... existed. Whilst in the meantime we were all in a constant state of stress trying to deal with being a teacher. Staff on meds, no social life, marital difficulties caused by having a stressful job, people disappearing for hospital appointments, union action, mysterious disappearances...

Genuinely, what do these people DO all day?

19. FredfromFrance

The more I think about the short-sighted selfishness that runs our society, the more enraged I become.

I am seriously so angry.

Gilet jaune, anyone?

20. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I also want to know if it is requirement to be a qualified teacher to be a CEO

I presume not, as the MAT where I worked, the CEO and his vice-CEO both had zero teaching qualifications. They also appointed some other non-teachers to leadership roles and paid them handsomely - all friends of each other.

Is there anywhere to report nepotism and corruption of taxpayers' money in an age of unparalleled cuts; or does nobody care or even bat an eyelid?

agathamorse likes this.