1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will examiners get furloughed?

Discussion in 'News' started by sawhyte, Apr 9, 2020.

1. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

The school I last worked in apparently are having to pay their invigilators.

2. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

It appears that CI/OCR have applied the furlough scheme where relevant - eg probably for anyone who earnt over a certain amount last June and July. Youd expect AQA and the others to do the same as a bare minimum.

3. rioja77

rioja77 New commenter

I know this will likely seem too simplistic but if the exam boards have most or all of their normal income then they should ‘pay’ the examiners. If the exam boards don’t have normal income due to some refunding of fees then the job retention scheme should apply.

4. doginkennel

doginkennel New commenter

Capita has contacted the Key Stage 2 markers to tell us that the furlough scheme is not appropriate for us and therefore they will be doing nothing. No (much needed) goodwill payments for us. I hope that when it comes to the time when they want our services again we all remember how they treated us when times were difficult.

emz345 likes this.
  5. ne61maths

ne61maths New commenter

At least Pearson are communicating
    I got a very rude reply from AQA when I emailed them. They had replied to my twitter post with an address to email for further details. their response was check your spam email and the website. I told them I had nothing in my spam and could not find anything on the website. I asked him for a link do the details - his response was email address is under my name on email. This was the aqa home page - not helpful at all!

6. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

To be honest the government has many, many different competing demands on its resources from lots of different places at the minute. Some companies will be literally close to collapse if they do not receive funding, leaving millions without work.

I don’t think that giving extra money to a group who are mostly already employed in well-paid roles as teachers is going to be a priority for the government.

I can’t imagine the media would be too impressed either to see teachers being given thousands of pounds for work that is not being done, particularly when many parents are seeing their pay cut or losing their income altogether.

daisytoo likes this.
  7. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

What a wonderfully simplistic summary

frangipani123 likes this.
  8. Dan B

Dan B New commenter

I agree that there are some who are in this boat and this simplistic solution is perhaps fair enough for them, but there are others who earn a full time living from examining and others who rely on it to top up their pensions. This is not a black and white situation and it is insensitive to treat it as such.

9. doginkennel

doginkennel New commenter

There are many (like myself) who are not employed as teachers and the loss of this income is significant. This is certainly not a 'one size fits all' situation.

Interestingly, I emailed my (Conservative) MP about this and they agreed that this is a serious issue and is investigating it with the DfE.

frangipani123, ladyhawk and rioja77 like this.
  10. greeneyes

As someone who relies on that money (supply teacher apparently unsuitable for furlough) I have to disagree with @TheHeadteachersOffice. I have no income presently.

frangipani123 and ladyhawk like this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

12. letap

letap Occasional commenter

I suspect you don't understand the meaning of the word honest or you're rather shameless.

13. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

ultrablondbird likes this.
  14. aae1972

aae1972 New commenter

There are rumours on Yammer that Pearson have paid some of their examiners 80% of their contracts whilst fobbing the rest of us off. Someone reckons they know two Principal examiners and one Assistant examiner who has been paid this but whether this is true, I don't know.

15. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Sounds like yet another conspiracy theory. I'm making a tinfoil hat.

16. sdouglas88

sdouglas88 New commenter

The thing that doesnt make sense here is exams are payed for by entry fees... so as these are still being payed i dont see why
    1. Examiners would not be payed
    2. Exam boards would use furlough?

How exactly have exam boards lost money? Its the same reason teachers areny furloughed... schools still getting their budgets from the government.

Am I missing something?

17. aae1972

aae1972 New commenter

I am not convinced that the money being paid by OCR/CI as 'furlough' is coming from the government. I think they are running the equivalent of the scheme but funding it themselves. I think this is why the other boards are dragging their heels about examiners being paid anything, if we were just part of the scheme paid for by the government, there would be nothing for them to think about really.

18. TrueFaith

TrueFaith Occasional commenter

Something I saw written about this was that schools were expected to use their budgets as usual, which would include paying all staff in full, including expenses such as regular invigilators, even though they weren't being used. The rationale being that if these staff are left out this year, they may find themselves less willing to get involved in the future. The exact same could be said for examiners/moderators...

19. greeneyes

I suppose the caveat for exam boards is that whilst they offer you a contract it’s dependent on how many papers you are given to mark. They can reduce it at any time. They will surely say there’s no papers to mark therefore no need to pay anyone.

20. sdouglas88

sdouglas88 New commenter

Except that in this situation it is only due to covid and the gov had stated clearly that should be payed even if not working if due to covid, and that if your funding from government continues you should pay staff in full and since they recieving the entrance fees, surely examiners should be psyed in full! none of this furlough and ex gratia payment stuff makes any sense in the context of all of this... i suppose it will all depend on any refund on fees to schools. Which i think will dictate when we find out about examiners pay from most exam boards