1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will examiners get furloughed?

Discussion in 'News' started by sawhyte, Apr 9, 2020.

1. kegz

kegz New commenter

That doesn't seem to be what CIE and OCR are using, given the posts above, where they talk about dividing salary by 52 weeks.

2. kegz

kegz New commenter

That must be why they are dragging their heels then- aqa are still maintaining absolute radio silence

chocolateinuk likes this.
  3. chocolateinuk

chocolateinuk New commenter

I am also with AQA and didn't receive any information. I don't understand why they are so slow...

I am an examiner for GCSE Maths surely they will need us to mark in Autumn if a high number of students decide to take the exams. I don't think I will rush to mark it on top of my normal teaching load...

4. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

The email letter has the correct info.

5. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

Sorry for being dense, can you explain this a bit more for me?

6. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

Can i suggest people with twitter take to tweeting aqa asking for updates. There is nothing like negative exposure on a public forum to get an organisation moving.

7. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

Ignore that sorry ive read it now. It seems to me there are two or three different options that the boards could go for but what is very clear is that everyone does indeed qualify for furlough. The CI/OCR offer seems pretty derisory on the face of it though to give them the benefit of the doubt it may be an interim measure.

8. sawhyte

sawhyte New commenter

I have just reluctantly accepted the ex gratia payment from OCR. I also made a formal complaint that there has been no dialogue, that amount was inadequate and unfair if schools are not refunded. Despite asking directly what would happen if offer declined I have had no response. I need the dosh! Has anyone got any news from Pearson?

9. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

You haven't got a choice. If you don't accept you don't get anything. There is no option B. However I think it is safe to say that there may well be an offer of furlough down the line when the scheme gets extended.

10. petravdv

petravdv New commenter

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone else received an email today from AQA regarding auto-enrolment to the Pension Scheme?
    Thank you!

11. AJ Tinker

AJ Tinker New commenter

Yes. Don’t think I qualify as an examiner though.

12. chocolateinuk

chocolateinuk New commenter

I also did but it’s really irrelevant...

13. ne61maths

ne61maths New commenter

Has anyone heard from edexcel- apart from P60?
    I have heard nothing from Aqa or Edexcel
    Quite happy to go on twitter as someone earlier mention-just want to make sure I haven’t missed something before I do

14. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Nothing from Edexcel in the last week or so. But I think everyone who marks for them is well aware they are short staffed (and working from home etc) so I'm quite happy to wait for them to make contact - there have been a series of updates through the whole process.
    Although I stand to lose a lot of money over this matter, I'm also struggling a bit with the idea of being paid for doing nothing at all. How do others feel about the ethics here?

15. AJ Tinker

AJ Tinker New commenter

I wasn’t expecting any payment for the missed opportunity of marking this year, but if we are entitled by law then why not? Other occupations have received payment for not working. How are we any different? I mark for AQA, so are still none the wiser but will accept any payment offered.

16. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

As a supply teacher who is not yet furloughed I usually rely on the summer marking money. I contribute my taxes so if I can get something to tide me over until a semblance of normality resumes, I’ll take it.

17. SpaghettiBetty

SpaghettiBetty New commenter

I have no qualms about this at all. If AQA want me to remain available for future series (and I've been marking a long time) they need to pay me. My contract is worth £250/mth over the course of the year, and I budget accordingly. I will be looking for a school-based promotion and sacking off the marking in future if I get nothing or next to nothing.

Examiners are no different from any other earner.

greeneyes likes this.
  18. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

I have just (reluctantly) accepted the Cambridge International ex gratia payment.
    Hopefully other exam boards will offer something better...
    (I wish)

19. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Pearson's latest issued today doesn't tell us much we didn't know....
    Contracting and Pay

In recent bulletins, we have talked about our work to understand the implications of cancelled assessments on both our centres and our Associate community. As you can appreciate, it is a complex picture with several competing interests and stakeholders to consider.

The contribution you make is essential for learners and exam boards and is critical to the sustainability of the examination system. We know that this may be a concerning and uncertain time for you and we wanted to thank you for your patience as we work through the issues presented by this situation. We are still working on the final detail of how best to support our Associate community and will be able to communicate further information to you soon.

Thank you once again for your patience and please be assured this remains a very high priority for us.

20. sdouglas88

sdouglas88 New commenter

Pearson are clearly waiting for government guidance on qualification entry fees to come through... realistically exam boards would be hard pushed bot to pay examiners if they are in receipt of their normal income. It does make you wonder why ocr acted so much earlier than other exam boards?