1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will examiners get furloughed?

Discussion in 'News' started by sawhyte, Apr 9, 2020.

1. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

I’ve just gotten mine from AQA.

2. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

My P60, might I add. No further forward on furlough etc.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Been getting P60s via that system for years and years. It is very antiquated - I think the coding was done by Fred Flintstone!
    It seems clear from their communications that all the awarding bodies will be adoptiing the same principles, although you'd also expect differences in detail. I think we all just sit and wait - after all, most of the money wouldn't be coming to us until June at least in a normal year.

4. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

This is true, but it's not unreasonable for people managing their finances to have a clear idea what June will hold in May!

dramaex likes this.
  5. kegz

kegz New commenter

Speak for yourself! My other employment pays me Oct to June so my exam marking pays for my food etc during the summer- I wish people would stop making assumptions. Many senior examiners I work with rely on this money as a major source of income over the summer months.

6. ladyhawk

ladyhawk New commenter

Absolutely right. Many of us are career examiners who work for the Awarding Bodies all year round and are therefore being furloughed temporarily. I earn a lot more than I did as a full-time teacher, it is hardly a supplementary income.

dramaex likes this.
  7. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Cambridge International examiners (and I guess OCR too) - did anyone get any info about why they claim 'We believe, however, that the amount you would receive through the Scheme would not be sufficient for you to participate'.

Clicking through to the 'survey' is a simple 'take it or leave it' type page...
    The 1st May deadline makes it feel like the booking sites where you are implored to 'hurry, only 1 room left at this price!

While I could certainly use £250 right now, I'd like it to be a much better informed decision to accept on my part!

8. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

Agree. The word participate is reallt weird.

9. PW493

PW493 New commenter

Is there a way to contact them? I have been sent the initial email saying we will be writing to you separately but no follow up email has arrived. What is this about the 1st May deadline?

10. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

1st of May was stated as the date to act so they 'had a record of my agreement to a payment'.
    Strikes me as a weird turn of phrase, possibly for legalese reasons?

11. johnathanx

johnathanx New commenter

I try to contact them. But unfortunately.

12. sarahsmith50

sarahsmith50 New commenter

I have been in touch with OCR by email to ask the to explain the calculations they have done and also to explain what would happen if the furlough period was extended. This is the reply I have received:

During a period of furlough, you will receive payment based on the Government’s guidelines for those in receipt of variable pay. The amount you receive will be based on the amount stated in your P60 for the last financial year, divided by 52 weeks and multiplied by the furlough period. The amount will be subject to deductions for tax. We will apply under the Scheme for reimbursement of 80% of the amount paid to you in accordance with the Government guidance. In the scheme, furlough payments are calculated on earnings in the 2019-2020 financial year. You have been offered an ex gratia payment as this will be higher than the furlough payment calculation.

If the government extend the scheme we will look at everyone’s individual circumstances again and will advise on our course of action. If you accept the offer now and we do extend the scheme we will look at your individual circumstances again.

13. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

Thanks for that. At least is clarifies the basis. They shoulve included that originally. The only part that makes no sense now is what period you would classify as furlough weeks wise for an examiner. If it id the entire 16 weeks that furlough has currently been applied to, as would seem fair based on the broader logic that is being applied, then i struggle to see how 250 is the greater payment.

14. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

Furlough starts from the date you accept the offer of furlough.

15. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

In normal circumstances yes. But it wont be the fault of examiners that the exam boards and HMRC have delayed them receiving that offer.

16. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

Cambridge have the discretion to backdate it but they are clearly stating that they have decided not to.

17. SpaghettiBetty

SpaghettiBetty New commenter

The amount you receive will be based on the amount stated in your P60 for the last financial year, divided by 52 weeks and multiplied by the furlough period.

Well that's us well and truly shafted then. I hope schools are substantially reimbursed.

18. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

The letter says that they will calculate it in line with the Govt guidance for those with variable pay, as the higher of that and the same month's earnings in 2019.

19. kegz

kegz New commenter

Hmm, I'll believe it when I see it. Dividing a 3 month contract by 52 weeks seems like a bit of book-fiddling. Still waiting for any information from aqa who have been absolutely shocking at informing examiners of anything! Might need to rethink my decision to examine next year! I've been doing this for 10 years and it feels like a complete slap in the face given the huge amount of additional marking I do each year to help them out.

20. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

It's not the length of any individual contract that matters. It's when you became an assessor for the first time and was put on payroll. If that was any time up to 6th April 2019 then you have been employed for more than 12 months and the higher of the 2 calculations is used. If you became an assessor after 6th April 2019 then they divide your 2019/20 P60 by the length of time you have been an assessor in the 2019/20 tax year and use that average for your furlough pay. Remember no assessor receives a P45 so they remain employed even if they are not engaged on an assignment task.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-ou...-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme