1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will examiners get furloughed?

Discussion in 'News' started by sawhyte, Apr 9, 2020.

1. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

Apparently an exam board (maybe AQA) is calculating refunds on a school by school basis that they would disclose later on.

2. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

I do not think the CEO will have awarded himself a pay rise. To suggest that is probably not at all fair.

As far as I can tell (and I may be wrong) his annual salary is £260,000.

So we can appreciate that doling out a couple of hundred quid to markers to retain their goodwill might not seem to him to be all that important.

3. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

Exam papers from Summer series cannot be used in the Autumn, OFQUAL had issues with potential security leaks etc. Many of the exams in May had a full print run already completed and stored, but have had to be destroyed. For many exams they will now be using the reserve paper from the Summer or the intended main one from the Summer 2021 which have already been signed off.

4. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

To be frank the AQA CEO is in a really challenging and time-consuming role. You can’t really compare him to a GCSE food tech marker.

He will have been working flat out over the last few months trying to put in place a fair replacement system. If anything his £260,000 salary is too low!

5. CaptGrimesRetd

Not entirely sure how time'consuming the role is. Ask Qfqual what to do; get a Techie to turn on the computer; put on the kettle all by yourself. Sorted.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I thought that might be the case - thanks for confirming it. In that case, couldn't the papers be placed on the exam board websites to be used for practice or mock exams?

7. CaptGrimesRetd

Sorry. Forgot to add: dictate a short letter to examiners telling them that they should not expect anything this year. Cut drizzle cake. Munch.

Seems cheap at the price.

8. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

I think Peasons are going to use some of them as part of their new 'Mocks Service', the others exam boards will hopefully make them available via websites...although AQA can be a bit funny about access to their exam papers.

9. kegz

kegz New commenter

Doesn't make his comment any less derogatory though. Maybe he should take a reduction in salary to help pay schools back too!

10. kegz

kegz New commenter

Really? Too low? The Head at my husbands school went to 80% salary in empathy at the fact they had to furlough some of their staff. He hasn't been working flat out, he's been making pointless podcasts and writing derogatory letters- similar to your post here! I hope you aren't a headteacher because I pity any staff who'd have to work with you if that is your attitude towards teachers in any subject.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Don't worry, he isn't. He pretends to be the head of a non-existent free school to wind up other teachers on TES. Best to ignore him.

12. l_so

l_so New commenter

Possibly his salary is low. I agree. Think about how much money he "saves" for the company. What he did to one examiner can save the company around £200, if there are 1500 examiners, he can save £300,000. I think that there are much more examiners in AQA than that. From this point of view, £260,000 is really a bit too low.

When all experienced examiners quit next year, AQA can recruit a lot of newbies who would not mind marking for a lower salary, he can then reduce the pay, possible will say something like "everyone should shoulder the burden of the impact of the pandemic." It can help the company to save more. I predict that he may have a pay rise next year.

This job is really challenging. Not many CEOs can ignore the needs of others completely and show no respect and sympathy to others at this difficult time. At least, I cannot do it. I am just a simple human and with a heart, I am definitely not qualified to earn that £260,000.

TheHeadteachersOffice likes this.
  13. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

All I can say is that EdexHell have treated me with a bit of dignity so I’ll definitely mark for them next year again.
    I’d rather not mark again for AQA so some newbie is more than welcome to that contract.

14. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

I was thinking that, given AQA gave its 'valued examination associates' ****-all, and that the exam grades eventually awarded were of school and college teacher making, (only getting the rubber stamp from awarding bodies), shouldn't AQA now refund school exam fees in full?

greeneyes likes this.
  15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Just received my final furlough pay from OCR. Not quite what I would have expected if exams had gone ahead, but not bad considering that I didn't spend hours staring at a computer screen. I doubt if there will be much work for A-level in the autumn.

16. l_so

l_so New commenter

I think the prediction so far is 10% of the Summer series. I think only PE and some team leaders would be offered contracts to do the marking.

17. Skippy17

Skippy17 New commenter

I'd love an autumn contract, but I'm not holding out much hope.

18. CaptGrimesRetd

I imagine the AQA CEO must be a bit miffed by Pearson's new CEO's salary - an annual base salary of $1.25m (£953,556).

19. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

In fairness Pearson is a far larger organisation than AQA with a much broader range of products and services.

20. CaptGrimesRetd

True enough, though it does strike me as a great deal of money an Pearsons have been shedding stuff like The Financial Times and (I think) the Savoy. I imagine they will look to increase their online presence and their College and decrease their textbooks.