1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will examiners get furloughed?

Discussion in 'News' started by sawhyte, Apr 9, 2020.

1. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

I haven’t had anything but I normally mark literature for them.

2. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

We still don't know the level of likely entries come October but the odds are that it'll be very low (100's). Exam boards still have to follow OFQUAL rules as per usual so the prestandard, validity, qualification, etc will be in place as typical summer exams. BUT depending on numbers per paper we'll probably run with PE, 1 TL and 5 examiners (max). To be honest although AQA are trying to suss out potential numbers, they'll be looking in the first instance to run with the pool of current TL's to act as examiners. Therefore very unlikely that previous examiners will end up actually being asked to mark.

As a PE for Edexcel I've already been asked to nominate people from my previous years who've been TL's and would be willing to accept examiner roles. Thereafter they'll send out standard contracts to previous AA's just in case.

3. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

Myself and all the heads I know are not expecting many entries at all for the autumn series. I suspect the vast majority of entries will be from private candidates rather than schools and colleges.

The exam boards will want to minimise costs so I think they will run with a very tight staffing structure. I’d be surprised if any of the usual examiners are asked to mark.

4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Presumably it's going to vary by subject (and level). I suspect there will be a lot of borderline candidates in English and Maths at GCSE who will want to chance their arm and avoid a year in the resit class. Obviously nowhere near a full cohort but I would expects 10s of thousands for maths.

5. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

I disagree. I think lots of pupils will enter at least one exam.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I think we will find out when the exam entries are made. My crystal ball is out of commission as the servicing isn't available during lockdown, otherwise I'd give you exact figures.
    Mildly more serious response: the results are unknown, candidates' responses to them are unkown, because of those two factors schools' advice to candidates is also unknown. There's little point in predicting!

greeneyes likes this.
  7. carlineb81

carlineb81 New commenter

I've been paid by Pearson today but I didn't ever get a pay slip so worth checking your bank account

Trundlegate likes this.
  8. greeneyes

I was paid too. I haven’t checked on the gateway but it’s there.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Pearson have paid me too. That's two weeks ahead of their promised deadline.

jarndyce and (deleted member) like this.
  10. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I was doing some online training recently with AQA. The question of whether there will be any need for examiners for those students who decided to take the exam and ignore the predicted grade in October/November came up. He said that AQA are always keen to recruit examiners. I managed to bite my tongue before I said something like 'just not so keen on paying them, eh.' I like to think that they'll struggle to recruit people this year, the same way that I hope Weatherspoons goes into receivership.

DonutBoy99, Piranha and kegz like this.
  11. TheHeadteachersOffice

Why on earth should examiners be paid for both the summer and autumn series of exams when one has not taken place and so there has been no marking?

12. greeneyes

steely1, wincheslodge and dramaex like this.
  13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

For exactly the same reason that other people who cannot work as usual are getting paid. You may disagree with the concept of furlough, but that is how it works.

There is also the issue that some people may have a contract with the exam board, which cannot be broken unilaterally.

steely1 and fundaysoftplay like this.
  14. TheHeadteachersOffice

People are being furloughed from jobs that they will be able to return to. The scheme is not designed to cover jobs that don’t exist.

15. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

It does cover seasonal work, actually. SQA could certainly have furloughed examiners (as we stay on payroll and get a P60 each year) but they chose not to. Their excuse was that furlough was to support businesses rather than individuals.

steely1 and greeneyes like this.
  16. sjk81

sjk81 New commenter

Just had a little bit off a 'tiff' with OCR...
    Normally I would mark for them end of June/Into July. I got a furlough payment from them on 26/6 for the period covering 11th-31st May and 1st - 30th June. July is when I'm normally paid for my exam work... But apparently I will not receive this payment until 28th August! And for some reason only known to them I got the June payment early & should have got it in July. Despite replying and telling them that they've never paid me in August in all the time I've worked for them and attaching a copy of my 2019 payslip that says paid on July 28th 2019 on it. But they are adamant that I will not be paid until August 28th.... Meaning I will get nothing for July and have no income until the end of August....

17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

That's fine. I intend to return to marking when exams get going again. Furlough is intended to cover jobs that would have existed if it were not for Covid.

18. letap

letap Occasional commenter

We are not talking about your headship here.

19. l_so

l_so New commenter

Examiners are PAYE freelancers. We fall into the gap in between the furlough and SEISS scheme. We are not asking for being "paid" for the jobs that we have not done. We are asking for the support that covers the income that we lost due to the pandemic like millions of others do in this country. Without the pandemic, we can work and earn. The jobs should be there as most of us were issued contracts. Everyone here has different circumstances. Some here are worse than the others. What we need is some positive support and constructive encouragement. There is a Chinese idiom: "Throwing stones at those who fell down a well" We do not need that. It is just not humane.

steely1, justkerryb and sjk81 like this.
  20. hannahrichardson8hannah

hannahrichardson8hannah New commenter

Out of interest how did you know you weren't going to be paid for July in the first place? I only ask because I have been checking the portal which normally shows details of upcoming payments (I was also paid 28th July 2019) and there is nothing currently showing for this month... I'm beginning to wonder if I am in the same boat!

sjk81 likes this.