1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will examiners get furloughed?

Discussion in 'News' started by sawhyte, Apr 9, 2020.

1. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

At the end of the day though it’s up to the exam board and clearly edexcel just don’t want to. We’ve missed the cut off date anyway for new additions to the furlough scheme.

It’s AQA I remain disgusted by.

2. stelittle

stelittle New commenter

I'm a bit confused. OCR were great to originally offer £250 as I did not expect anything. However they then emailed and said I'd be better on a furlough and would receive more. The payslip that came through is less than £250.

3. Jameshope1977

Jameshope1977 New commenter

I was told that it is the how we are seen in the eyes of the HMRC that is the cause for not being eligible, in my case this information was provided by both Pearson and the HMRC (although I was given different sets of information from HMRC until I explained my actual contracts that I hold and made reference the gov guidance).

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/national-insurance-manual/nim74100

4. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

OCR are participating in furlough in July too so you'll be paid next month.

stelittle and DonutBoy99 like this.
  5. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

31st July is the last day on which Pearson could submit a furlough claim for a period ending on or before 30th June.

To be furloughed in July onwards, you had to be furloughed for at least 3 weeks starting by 10th June.

6. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

Frontline HMRC staff will not understand the minutiae of such a delicate interpretation. In the main, contracts for service will not be eligible for furlough but HMRC hold a different view for examiners which allows boards to claim furlough for those on such contracts.

7. Poppy1Y

Poppy1Y New commenter

I understand it to be that those on furlough with OCR will get third and final payment at end of July and although I am appreciative, it will not amount to much more than the 250 ex gratia originally offered and obviously dependent on how much marking one did last year.

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

It could be a first instalment with bigger sums to come.

9. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

For those paid in July 2019, you'll get 80% of what was paid in July 2019 which could be substantially more than the average monthly earnings over 19/20 which you'll get if you weren't paid in July 2019.

10. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

There'll be more to come. Exactly how big depends on whether you were paid last July or not.

11. thornton22

thornton22 New commenter

I am an examiner with CIE/OCR and am pleased that they gave us the option of being furloughed or accepting an ex gratia payment. Unfortunately most of the work I do in the summer is with AQA and they decided that their team leaders and assistant examiners would receive nothing. A spokesperson from AQA gave the following comment in a recent article in the TES about their decision to pay us nothing.
    "Lots of examiners support our decision and we are grateful for this". Nearly as good as the reason Dominic Cummings drove to Barnard Castle to test his eye sight.

kegz, beeson272 and DonutBoy99 like this.
  12. l_so

l_so New commenter

"Lots of examiners support our decision and we are grateful for this" <- I think more examiners will support that the whole leadership should resign. They can tell the truth that they cannot pay or they do not want to pay, but making up fake stories like this is on the other level. I do not think that anyone will support this decision, except for the management team themselves.

kegz and greeneyes like this.
  13. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

They also said:
    "I know that, where some other exam boards have offered small payments to summer associates, these have not been significant enough to make a difference on an individual basis – which makes the overall cost to schools and colleges difficult to justify."

In other words, the "no deal is better than a bad deal" approach...

14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I was under the impression that it should be 80% of what you earned in that month last year. The bulk of my marking was in July, so I expect more then. I hope!

15. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

You think right but it's what you were PAID last July that matters, not what you marked in July (some of July scripts will have been paid in August).

Piranha likes this.
  16. greeneyes

So they won’t furlough you in August?

17. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

OCR/CIE are only participating until 31st July.

18. greeneyes

Wow. Because in August employers have to contribute?

19. ekc503

ekc503 New commenter

Presumably. They've not been very transparent with the reasons for what they're doing.

20. greeneyes

"Lots of examiners support our decision and we are grateful for this".
    I told my friend (who also marks for them) and she said “I don’t!”

Me neither :mad:

kegz likes this.