1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will examiners get furloughed?

Discussion in 'News' started by sawhyte, Apr 9, 2020.

1. sawhyte

sawhyte New commenter

Does anyone understand why the exam boards are dragging their feet by suggesting that examiners who can't now mark won't get furloughed? Like most examiners I have specific contracts and were on setup on their paye on feb 28th ready to mark. Surely if your contract was say £1000 total we should be receiving £800 through furloughing. Anyone heard anything?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Pearson contracts at least have a clause that says they can cut the contract if there's not enough marking to do.
    But they have emailed to say that negotiations are continuing.
    If you do one paper it's likely to be <£1000 and therefore not a huge proportion of income. Some people regularly earn >£10,000 a year and they will be more concerned!

3. ChrisCooper1_

ChrisCooper1_ New commenter

Has anyone heard from AQA?

4. lsnewyorky

lsnewyorky New commenter

I can't see anything on the AQA website about this. Has anyone else? Thanks

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Furlough pay is based on past pay in 2019-20 tax year. What you would have been paid in 2020-21 is irrelevant to the furlough scheme (but might be relevant to your contractual entitlement).

border_walker likes this.
  6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Found it! Here's the get-out clause in the Pearson/Edexcel contract:

7. The contractual allocation outlined above is based on predicted entries. In the event that these estimates are incorrect by a margin of 5% or over, Edexcel reserves the right to reduce or withdraw the allocation and the total amount payable including base and bonus.

I would think that covers it - entries are now zero for the exam.

speaker2 likes this.
  7. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

‘We’re working closely with other exam boards in the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) to understand what the unfolding situation means, as well as having conversations with HMRC to further understand how you can be supported during this time.’

8. CandysDog

Examiners seem to fall into a grey area because they are contracted workers. For most employees, it’s based on February’s salary. I can see how the same as last year could work for returning examiners (though would be harsh on those who didn’t mark as much as usual last year), but what about new examiners? The only thing I can find about new employees says February’s pay will be pro-rated, but that won’t work for examiners either.

9. Rott Weiler

10. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Trying to apply this.... let's say I was offered a contract on February 12th. The work doesn't start until June sometime so I'm not yet employed. My previous contract ended at the summer deadline - let's say 8th July 2019. I don't think I'm covered at all.
    However if we read between the lines of what Pearson and AQA have said (and I guess the others will be saying and doing much the same), there may be a glimmer of hope. I wouldn't plan to spend the proceeds on a holiday, though - might be better to think in terms of a paperback!

11. Rott Weiler

Did you see the Scheme definition I posted immediately before this post? If you worked in the 12 months prior to 28 Feb 2020 then potentially you qualify for furlough and the average monthly earnings 2019 - 2020 tax year are used to calculate your earnings. I would interpret 'average monthly earnings' to mean the average of the months in which you actually worked for the employer (not total earnings divided by 12) but that isn't completely clear.

Future earnings you might have received are irrelevant to the CJRS furloughing calculation

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  12. CandysDog

The guidance says the previous year's average monthly earnings rules applies to employees who 'have been employed for 12 months or more'. But examiners start new contracts every year, so they haven't been employed for more than 12 months. This would put them in the new starters category. However, even if examiners' contracts have started for this summer, none have earned anything, so the pro rata rules won't work either.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Ah, I see what you mean CandysDog. I'm not an examiner so wasn't aware of that, I assumed you had a permanent contract but only got given work under it at certain times if the year.

14. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

As an example, my most recent live contract was for re-marking of scripts from the autumn series:
    This contract begins on 23 January 2020 and expires on 31 March 2020.
    I have two contracts for the summer series 2020 at present and have accepted both, but neither are yet live, so I'm not employed under them at present. And the get-out clause I mentioned in post #6 presumably means that as there's no marking there's no contracted work, so no contract once it's withdrawn by the Awarding Body.

ajrowing likes this.
  15. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I think it's going to come down to pressure on the exam boards.

If schools start demanding a refund, its going to be very hard for boards to avoid doing that unless they're seen to be paying examiners something. If the unions start giving them grief, we might get some kind of payment well. But I don't think we'll get very far looking at rules and trying to work out whether we are 'legally entitled' to anything.

16. CandysDog

Yes, examiners are only employed for a few months each time. They even get P45s at the end of each exam season.

17. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

The common sense approach would be that everyone takes a hit but no one misses out completely. Schools get a partial refund, the exam board cover admin etc and examiners are paid say 40-50% of of contract value (which would also save the board money as its rare that they have the full allocation covered in advance).

As i would imagine the furlough scheme will need to be extended anyone with a contract for this year who was paid last year should really be covered. Cambridge and AQA appear on my HMRC tax code PAYE letter this year.

Examiners really need a temporary union - who would join one?

18. sawhyte

sawhyte New commenter

this is a little more promising - extract from tonight's associate bulletin from pearson......We are continuing to work with the JCQ and the other awarding organisations to obtain further clarity from the DfE and HMRC about the status and applicability of the Job Rentention Scheme (JRS). We have received further relevant guidance this week which we are reviewing. The government have also announced today that the JRS will be extended until the end June....

19. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I don't think we should get our hopes up. Most examiners use marking as a supplement to other income, so missing out on it may not be pleasant but won't cause major hardship. Brutally, taxpayer money might be better deployed on other people, and I would be surprised if there was more than a token payment.

20. pritchy25

pritchy25 New commenter

Agree but they also have to try and maintain their staff base