1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will England being World Cricket champs make any difference to kids?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 3monkey, Jul 15, 2019.

1. 3monkey

3monkey New commenter

What a great match!!

I just can't help thinking though that it won't make a blind bit of difference to many if any children in the UK. For the vast majority who even accidentally watched it on TV, perhaps because their Mum or Day were watching it, it may well have been the first match they had ever seen, or will ever see for the next decade, such is Sky's stranglehold on the TV rights. Not only will there be no cricket on TV for the next countless years, it's a game rarely played in your average academy. Okay, I've not been to many, but I haven't heard of a single school in my area that isn't a Public School playing it. It's almost as rare as Computer Science!

Great victory, but it won't make any difference to children. Sad really, as it's a great game.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I doubt it, the kids will be stumped.

emerald52, grumpydogwoman and nomad like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Nonsense.

They'll be bowled over!

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It'll knock 'em for six!

emerald52 likes this.
  5. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Strange, I'd say that school level cricket is quite strong and relatively inclusive. When I was at school, I remember playing a season of matches every year against other local comprehensives (no public schools). Even the current school I work at has enough enthusiastic students to muster a staff vs Y11 match. I say "even" because the students have probably the poorest socio-economic background I've worked with.
    I'd say the issue is cricket outside of schools and the lack of facilities available. If you can't afford pads/bat/ball, how do you play? If you live in an urban area, where do you play (without people worried you're going to break their windows)?
    Maybe the victory will make a difference to adults' attitudes, who might be a bit more open to a game of street cricket outside their house... even if it costs them a few breakages.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

A survey carried out some years ago for the Cricket Foundation found that cricket was offered in only a third of state schools:

'Only a third of schools offer cricket'

CheeseMongler likes this.
  7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Made a change to hear about cricketers being involved in something good; rather than criminal trials.

8. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Like, as in thanks for the information... don't like the statistics!

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It was the same cricketer!!!!

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Very little.

Few watch it anymore, fewer play it anymore.

I used to watch religiously but once Sky got it, I lost track. Many people don't even know who's in the team these days.

It would have been a massive thing for the country if we all still followed the game like we used to.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

No matter how exciting Sunday was , playing it at school is pretty dull.

12. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

When was the last time pe teachers you know arranged a cricket match between schools? Sadly, maybe some are too unfit or lazy to care?

Besides cricket is dull ...

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Any evidence of that? Or just another baseless slur about teachers?o_O

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Is there not something about a new 100 ball tournament that has been made for the BBC to broadcast?

That will help a lot.

I cannot blame SKY for bidding what is probably silly money for the rights but we can blame the people in charge of cricket for accepting immediate money over hard work and development of the sport.

Take a cut in the income for the rights, put the sport on terrestrial telly and watch us become champions, bringing in more money than SKY ever were silly enough to offer.

But nah, immediate greed is good it seems. Who cares about the wider picture?

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The state secondary school I attended in the 60s had a lot of land devoted to playing fields. We had a cricket pitch, a football pitch, a rugby pitch and a couple of tennis courts which doubled as basketball courts.

We never played cricket, rugby tennis or basketball, basically I suspect because the PE teacher who was an ex-squaddie whose primary skill was knowing everything there is to know about shouting. There's no point in having sporting facilities unless you have teachers who can teach the required skills.

Around a year ago, I looked on google maps to see whether the school still had the playing fields. Where they were is now a housing estate.

The school was once a technical school in which the less academic kids learned building skills. The kids built a swimming pool for the junior school next door and a cricket pavillion. The cricket pavillion was lost when the land was sold and the swimming pool appears to be the site for some building or other, the purpose of which is unknown to me.

I suspect that kids who were engaged with the world cup would love the chance to learn the game, but where can they play it and who will be teaching them?

Happygopolitely likes this.
  16. Happygopolitely

We had one lesson of cricket at school..That was it. To be fair the pe teachers at my school.ran gymnastics clubs in the hour long dinner-break and we loved it. Far more involvement, engagement and movement.

I recall the one cricket game very well, just waiting with my buddies on the field for a ball that never came our way. We truanted and came back. No one noticed lol

17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Cricket has always been popular round my way, with kids from a Pakistani or Indian heritage.

See them regularly each Summer. No fancy equipment, apart from a decent bat!

(And a bit of green of course)

Happygopolitely likes this.
  18. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

Let's try to capitalise on this now by getting the Ashes (and test match cricket in general) back on terrestrial tv.....

19. Happygopolitely

That is good and it gets kids exercising.

20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

£200 million a year from the BBC (?) for cricket is a big ask.