1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Covid 19 hasten the break up of the UK?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, May 30, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Every day we hear that in England this will be allowed, but not in Wales, whilst Scotland...etc.etc.

At present the situation is:

[​IMG]

And the differences seem to be getting bigger.

So, I wonder, will this hasten the break up of the UK into 4 separate, independent, countries? (Or 3 with N.I. making the logical decision to rejoin the rest of Ireland?)

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I don't think England and NI could ever function independently.. Economically NI would be a liability for Ireland. Scexit is the only real possibility.

Kandahar likes this.
  3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Well, it is certainly being weaponised by those who wish to become independent.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't know whether you've noticed but it's happened already.

harsh-but-fair and lexus300 like this.
  5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Economically, only England will be sustainable if it happens. Maybe NI if they join SI which is very unlikely.
    If they want it, let them have it is my opinion. There is no point in keeping an unwilling horse.

agathamorse and needabreak like this.
  6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Economically, only London and the SE as the rest of England is subsidised by those two regions. But The Union began to break up in 1922 and Ireland seems to function pretty well on its own, perhaps Scotland and Wales could too if they were free to follow their own economic and tax regimes focused on their needs not Westminster's.

LiamD likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Whilst we are breaking up the UK why not have an independent London then? Let us go for the full monty!!
    Tell me, where would London get its food, water, electricity, oil and gas from? China maybe, they could throw in some nice bat soup to sweeten the deal:p

Kandahar likes this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

An interesting idea let us go for it.

Kandahar and burajda like this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Well there's not been much in the way of a united kingdom has there, it appears to be a natural progression.

burajda likes this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Can you blame us for trying to get away from BJ/DC and co?

LiamD, drvs, Jolly_Roger15 and 2 others like this.
  11. LondonCanary

It would create a lot of new jobs in border patrols, customs and excise and general administration,.

alex_teccy, ACOYEAR8 and needabreak like this.
  12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Oooh that avatar is haunting... :eek:;):)

LondonCanary likes this.
  13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Much like leaving the EU will do?

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

It'll still be the United Kingdom of Greggs, whatever happens.

15. LondonCanary

Not really, as regional independence would require 2 new borders where there are none but have a very large number of people and goods movements in both directions.

16. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The UK is certainly becoming less united. There are many anomalies in the present system, where the Westminster government has MPs from the whole UK but many of its decisions now only affect England. Covid-19 and Brexit are both pushing it more towards breaking up.

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Brexit brings the three mainland nations closer together as Westminster re-centralises powers and former EU subsidies and monies. How the scots and Welsh react to that will be interesting .

18. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I expect the opposite - Brexit will provoke more anti-Union feelings in those parts of the UK who voted to remain; esp. in Scotland.

LiamD likes this.
  19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

We'll buy it of course at the best possible price, with our increased wealth as we are no longer contributing our taxes to the rest of Britain. They need us more than we need them. Theres a huge market on our doorstop not just the rest of England. How will the rest of England cope if Scotland and Wales cant without London and the SE? Not economically viable you said, but the rest of England are beneficiaries like W&S, so not economic contributors. Oil and gas? Thats so 20th century. But just thinking, where does the West Midlands get its leccy, gas, oil and water from?

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    alex_teccy likes this.
  20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I think at this time you are correct.