1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will China 'seize' Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

Yes I suppose it is. I'll continue to wait.

wait.jpg

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Going to put you on ignore now. You are a phenomenonly boring person. My world will be that little bit better not having to read your drivel.

Spoofer4114 likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hey get that. So much improved

4. Spoofer4114

Second time in as many months I have been put on ignore by a Tommy Robinson type personage. They even have the consideration to tell you they are ignoring you.

Jolly decent of them I say.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

6. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Just seen this tweet from Sky news
    "Protesters walked by road from the airport to Tung Chung MTR station, where they damaged turnstiles, ticket machines and cameras."

The full article begins:

Pro-democracy protesters set fire to barricades to block roads to Hong Kong International Airport, as an express train and some bus services to the transport hub were suspended on Sunday.
    Anti-government demonstrators also damaged a train station after a night of violent clashes with police.

And later says:

After protesters began to stream away from the airport late in the afternoon, some attacked a train station in the adjacent Tung Chung area.
    The protests were originally sparked by a now-suspended extradition bill that would have allowed extraditions to China
    They used metal bars to smash lights and broke open a fire hose valve, sending water gushing across the floor.

Is this a change of slant? The protesters are now violent and destructive - not what we want to see, rather than plucky pro-democracy campaigners to be supported? Because the contrast with how they want/need to cover the UK protests would be too great?

https://news.sky.com/story/hong-kon...lock-access-to-international-airport-11799688

chelsea2 likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Meanwhile video is doing the rounds of Hong Kong police violently beating people on the Underground... and using year gas indiscriminantly... while China cycles troops into the territory. But yeah... about those turnstiles and ticket machines... the poor machines...

chelsea2 and artboyusa like this.
  8. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

So anyone who disagrees with you is Tommy Robinson?

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I 'liked' both these posts - because once demos (whatever they are for) turn violent and damage property, then they are opening themselves to criticism at best and violence in return at worst. The protesters lose any moral high ground.

But the violent actions of the Hong Kong police, and the growing proximity of Chinese troops are more than worrying, especially as a sign of what may be to come, as well as reprehensible in their own right.

I can't see this ending well, but demonstrators who become violent don't help themselves.

Worth a read:
    http://www.markshep.com/peace/Myths.html

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    lanokia likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The self awareness is palpable. You can feel the brain cell struggling upwards.

11. Spoofer4114

Anyone I consider racist is a Tommy Robinson type. That is not everyone who disagrees with me.

12. Spoofer4114

Hong Kong Chinese demand British citizenship.

Your mate will be choking on his cornflakes when he sees this in the morning.

13. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

The Chinese mantra is everything is for the good of the people!
    No, we know the Chinese government will not ignore these protests. It says something that the Hong Kong people will go to these extremes. That they have nothing to lose. Their future is grim anyway.
    Freedom of speech will go totally out the window. I found it really oppressive visiting China. Hong Kong though was an exciting place to visit.
    We take our freedom of speech for granted even if we can never agree!

artboyusa and chelsea2 like this.
  14. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I doubt they would want to go Scotland!
    But given British Citizenship makes them think they might have some protection

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A lot of them protesting outside our Hong Kong embassy

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3770529

16. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Hey, Scotland needs more people.;)

I think it was a bit mean of us to change their passports in 1997. Given that what’s happening now is not what was supposed to happen, can we not change them back to the proper UK passports they had before, for some protection, as silkywave suggests? Or am I being naive? According to The Guardian, there are only 170,000 with these at the moment.

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

My "mate"? Who would that be? I have no idea, so kindly clue me in.

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

They should get it. Good for the Hong Kong people, good for the Chinese to see that we'll stand up to them for once, and good for this country if they ever have to come here.

19. Spoofer4114

Is @lanokia not a friend of yours? You are rarely in disagreement. Particularly on matters of Islam at any rate.

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Lanokia
    Have you seen this long interview about the CCP's involment in corruption in China.I would be interedted in your opinion..the guy speaking reckons they want to wipe out the Bank of Hong Kong