1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will China 'seize' Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jun 12, 2019.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Chinese officials will distance themselves from any action that they may have instigated to facilitate the unhindered extradition of people that are guilty of 'thought crimes'. Hong Kong is now under their control and nothing will stop them from ruling it the 'Chinese way', even if that involves triads.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Now the Civil Servants are out protesting... 9th weekend facing Hong Kong... hope China remains restrained.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

"Do you hear the people sing" at a sit in...

Beautiful

Morgelyn, artboyusa and peter12171 like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just some 'friendly' troop movements.

Feeling so bad for the people of Hong Kong... we gave them to a communist dictatorship... we're culpable in this.

artboyusa likes this.
  7. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I see these brave people waving the Stars and Stripes, holding up signs asking us to help them, but what can we do? Sad sad sad.

Attached Files:

8. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

Wasn't Hong Kong taken from the Chinese in the first place? Hong Kong is back in Chinese hands now as it should be.

Can't the UK Government settle Hong Kong residents in the UK? This would seem the logical step for those people who do not want to live under Chinese rule.

hplovegame48 likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Whoooosh

blueskydreaming and artboyusa like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Your use of the word 'logical' is interesting.... clearly means something very different where you are...

blueskydreaming likes this.
  11. Spoofer4114

You said the British were culpable. I just wondered if they could resettle those that didn't want to live under Chinese rule.

Seems fair given that the British are, in some part, to blame.

hplovegame48 likes this.
  12. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I think I remember it being argued at the time that those who wanted should be given UK passports. I feel really bad for the people there.

13. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

GCSE Maths results would rocket if this happened!

blue451 likes this.
  14. Spoofer4114

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just across the border in China
    upload_2019-8-13_10-43-29.png

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It may well be the HK people have seen the writing on the wall and know their protests will sooner and not later lead to the Chinese moving in by force.

Perhaps they then feel the West will help them out. Deep down they probably know that won't happen but maybe they just want what is inevitable to happen now so at least it is done with.

They will go down fighting, which is always admirable.

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

We really have put ourselves in a bind, haven't we?
    I remember when Nixon went to China and what a big masterstroke that was supposed to be and I remember when our rulers decided that we should give China special trading status and all the concessions they wanted because that would accelerate democratization and guess what? It was all a big mistake and now we've enabled a weak regional enemy to become a powerful global enemy. Good job, globalists.

dumpty likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

When the inevitable happens - nobody will help the people of Hong Kong.

19. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

20. Spoofer4114

Why not? Plenty of room in Scotland. If the British are so concerned about the fate of the Hong Kong Chinese then this is a possible option. Of course they will have to build the infrastructure to support them but they can finance this with all the billions if not trillions they made from the plunder of China and the drugs they sold, by force of death, to the Chinese people.

I'm sure the Queen has a few trinkets lying around that originally belonged in the Summer Palace i.e stolen from the Chinese people. She can chip in by pawning those items.

Alternatively they can send in the warships. It seemed to work the last time they tried that tactic in China. Good luck with that though.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019