1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will China 'seize' Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jun 12, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So the protests in China have now turned violent with rubber bullets and tear gas being deployed by police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-48591001

Protesters have made an attempt to storm the Parliament building.

With one million [or 1/7th of the population] protesting at the weekend is there a chance of authorities loosing control [in Beijing's eyes] and using this as an excuse to enforce central rule over Hong Kong?

I know China has a treaty promise to respect Hong Kong's right to self-determination for 50 years but really... it'd be unenforceable wouldn't it? Not like we could do anything even if we wanted to.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Exactly, and Putin set a precedent with Ukraine. UN = useless (shades of League of Nations). Maybe BoJo can negotiate, he is about as useless as Chamberlain.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Speaking of Putin, there was mention on the radio of the possibility of Russia using similar tactics from Ukraine in Kazakhstan if their government gets any ideas... the northern half of Kazakhstan is ethnically Russian...

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

artboyusa likes this.
  6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Wow. Powerful image.

bombaysapphire and lanokia like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Protests were orderly however... otherwise this wouldn't have happened.
    [​IMG]

primarycat likes this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

In direct response to the original question, China will indeed seize HK - the only question is when.

When is the day the Chinese feel it can be done with any real involvement from the West. It would not surprise me if this is the decoy - a move to gauge just how concerned the West really is.

For if there is one thing I did learn from living in this part of the world, it is that things happen suddenly and very, very quickly, As soon as China gets a whiff of feeling secure to take over more - it will, and without any real warning or logic to it, hence why it also will be successful in doing so.

I think this is why the HK people are continuing to protest even though the law they are fighting has been postponed.

They know such a move means absolutely nothing.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So the legislative assembly is stormed by protesters... police retaking the building...

China has to be thinking this is a rebellious cancer in its midst... worried that the disturbances might spread.

I feel a bit of pride that we left behind a bit of liberty loving freedom to infect China.

Though I think the odds might be against them.

peter12171 and border_walker like this.
  11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

People could stop buying so much stuff from China ... but would they?

border_walker likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But ... where would we get new smart phones?!?!?!

oh the humanity!

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

We should send a gun boat. That'll show 'em.

or we could remove Huawei from our 5G network plans.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  16. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

And that has been the case since 1997.

17. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Are you sure you’re allowed to say that? After all, it suggests that the British Empire did do some things right!

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye... we did...

Shocking really... :D

peter12171 likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It would hit China harder if we stopped people buying Huawei mobile phones and other consumer technology. I doubt that the possible proposal to buy 5G aerials from Huawei would make much of a financial dent in the great scheme of things, although there could be non-financial reasons for avoiding Huawei's aerials, of course.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Doesn't seem to be settling down... violence carrying on... tear gas, protests, counter-protests, now gangs of masked men with batons.