1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit end....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 16, 2016.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

There is no blame on the UK for aiming at a deal that suits the UK either. From what I have seen over the decades of EU membership all we have done is shell out vast sums with little by way of return.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Trading under WTA regulations requires border checks. A customs union is needed if there are to be no border checks.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

4. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

100 hours to go!

5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Yes, but people living in London and the home counties could say similar about being part of England- what will you do when they ask Stoke to leave and stop sponging?

6. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Help please: I was driving home from work today and a radio advert came on advising all EU citizens living here to apply for settled status - it said to do so even if they think they have a right to permanent residence. However, right at the end - in a very fast voice - it said Irish citizens need not apply. Do they mean people from Southern Ireland living in England (or Scotland or Wales) and if so, why are they exempt?

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I suspect the Common Travel Area:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-travel-area-guidance
    The Common Travel Area (CTA) is a long-standing arrangement between the UK, the Crown Dependencies (Bailiwick of Jersey; Bailiwick of Guernsey; Isle of Man) and Ireland.

The CTA established cooperation between respective immigration authorities enabling British and Irish citizens to move freely between, and reside in, these islands.

British and Irish citizens enjoy additional rights in Ireland and the UK. These include the right to work, study and vote in certain elections, as well as to access social welfare benefits and health services.

If you are a British citizen or an Irish citizen you do not need to take any action to protect your status and rights associated with the CTA. After the UK leaves the EU, you will continue to enjoy these rights, no matter what the terms of the UK’s exit. Both the UK and Irish Governments have committed to taking all necessary measures to ensure that the agreed CTA rights and privileges are protected in all outcomes.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Because the free movement and rights of residence between Britain and Ireland have nothing to do with the EU. They date back to Irish independence in 1922 and were part of the agreements made at that time concerning Irish independence. That's why British citizens don't need a Passport to travel from UK to Ireland and vice versa.

border_walker likes this.
  9. Mr_Ed

Just a quick question: Will Brexit End?

I recently read this interesting book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Betr...8JHJFV4BBCE&psc=1&refRID=TSSWZDG9E8JHJFV4BBCE

It's about all the attempts that were made to delay, stop, reverse the decision to leave the EU. Slightly out of date (it came out July last year) but interesting nonetheless. Out of date, because according to some, Boris got Brexit done. However, I have recently heard that ministers are banned from using the term 'no-deal' and indeed 'Brexit' which makes me suspicious. Also there is this deadline of 31/12/20 too.

So has Brexit been 'done'? Will it ever 'be done'?

10. nixmith

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yes. The UK is no longer a member of the European Union.

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I liked one of his previous books 'Selfish Whining Monkeys' https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0095CGW1K/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i1

Liddle, born 1961, says
    ‘I, and my generation, seem feckless and irresponsible, endlessly selfish, whining, avaricious, self-deluding, self-obsessed, spoiled and corrupt and ill.’

Luckily, I was born into the next generation after those selfish and whingeing baby boomers;)

13. Mr_Ed

In name only. Are people from the EU able to move freely to the UK? YES*, certainly until 31/12/20 and who knows if the 'transition period' will be extended or not - ("oh sorry we have to 'cos of coronavirus") so I am keeping this thread going because 'will brexit end?' is still a valid question, in my opinion.

*One for another thread perhaps, but how crazy it was that earlier this week people could not move freely around Italy, but could still get on a plane and come to Heathrow!!! You couldn't make it up!

14. nixmith

Apparently Brexit (trade) negotiations have been postponed due to Covid-19.

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You can't blame the EU for that - anymore than you can blame the EU for the UK allowing several thousand Atletico Madrid fans to fly to Liverpool for last night's Champions' League game, even though in Spain football matches can only take place behind closed doors.

lanokia likes this.
  16. nixmith

I rather miss all the Brexit chat!

Nanook_rubs_it and chelsea2 like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sounds like a generic description for humanity...

As the recent panicked images from supermarkets demonstrate.

18. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Oh for those sane, calm and considered days of discussing only economic opportunity or harm!

Seems like 2020 was getting worried that it would be a forgotten decade compared with the 2010's, so came out fighting.

alex_teccy likes this.
  19. nixmith

I wonder if once all this Covid-19 thing settles down (assuming we are still in the transition period) there will be calls for another Brexit referendum - because the whole demographics might have changed somewhat!?

20. nixmith