1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit end....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 16, 2016.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

She backtracked on that idea on Sep 4th
    All EU nationals entering the UK between the planned Brexit date of 31 October 2019 and the end of 2020 will have a three-year temporary leave to remain.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

3. florian gassmann

True, but I think Patel is still regarding that as bringing Freedom of Movement (as it is now) to an end on 31/10.

4. florian gassmann

Not just EU citizens. Everyone could face having their passports taken away if a future government was so minded. Yea ... Project Fear remains supreme. ;)

Of course, whether a government could actually stay in power after the population has seen many of its doctors, nurses, teachers, engineers and academics expelled is a different matter,

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If there had been yet another U turn yesterday, I'm sure it would have made a news report ot two - but I can't find any.
    Perhaps we're just discussing semantics now?
    Or misleading the public?

6. florian gassmann

Yes. The type of Freedom of Movement we have now will end on 31/10. A new, more limited styof of FoM will start on 1/11.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

8. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Can you elaborate? Basically - on 30th October a person from the EU can move freely to the UK, yes? (I know that if they don't get a job within 3 months we have the power to send them back, but that 'power' isn't used). What will be different in the 1st November? You mention in another post that "All EU nationals entering the UK between the planned Brexit date of 31 October 2019 and the end of 2020 will have a three-year temporary leave to remain..." But during the three years can they apply for settled status? When will the points system that applies to non-EU migrants be applicable to EU migrants?

What I am getting at is this: I want to know - if he stays in power (Boris Johnson) and in November he is shouting from the rooftops that Brexit has happened, will he be speaking the truth and in my opinion if FoM continues that will be a 'No'....

P.S. What is to stop someone from the EU (in November - or anytime in the future) getting transport to Eire, a taxi into N. Ireland, then a ferry to Liverpool and then settling in the UK as if FoM has never ended?

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Lack of employment. No different than if they arrived via Heathrow.

10. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

I haven't been to a big airport recently, but don't they currently have 2 access points marked i) EU-nationals and ii) non-EU nationals with different entry requirements (more stringent) for the latter? After 31/10/19 this will change yes - with just one queue for all....?

Furthermore, someone coming from Europe into Dublin then getting transport to N. Ireland & a ferry to England could then claim they have been resident in N.Ireland since before 31/10/19 to in effect continue free movement of people after the so-called Brexit date. I am with Mr_Ed on this, when the Prime Minister says Brexit will happen on Halloween 'do or die' is it the truth? If there are shortages, if there are price increases, if everything goes pear shaped and we are still not in control of our money, our laws and our borders I think there will be massive, massive unrest....

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Last time I reentered the country it wasnt just EU and non EU lines.
    As I recall one line was EU, CH, Norway, USA, Australia, NZ, Canada and some others. The other line was for any others. I guess that wont change after Brexit.

12. Mr_Ed

Well get ready to man the barricades, I have watched the Marr/Patel interview again on catchup, she insists that things will change on 1/11/19, but then starts talking about in terms of EU law, in other words she is hiding behind semantics. Nothing will actually change, but they will say it has!

13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

In what way are we not already in control of our money, our laws and our borders?

14. florian gassmann

You have answered your own question ...

(This is obviously different to the current situation where EU nationals can apply for PERMANENT leave to remain)

Yes. And they will need to do so if they wish to stay beyond 2021.

I don't think a date has been announced, but I imagine it will be from he start of 2022.

This has already been discussed at length here. Why go to all he trouble of travelling through Ireland when someone from the EU can come directly to the UK and then not go back? The answer is that such a person will not be able to work in the UK as employers have by law to verify the residency status of employees (as must landlords).

15. nixmith

Well I read recently on the main Brexit thread that Cameron, when PM, was asked for money to bail-out the Euro-zone countries in the wake of the banking crash (specifically Ireland) and even though we don't have the Euro he did it (so that is the money part covered).

If something goes up through all the British courts - is their not an even higher court - the EU? Perhaps Boris Johnson can appeal todays supreme court ruling on the prorogation of parliament lol! (that is the law part covered).

And as regards 'our borders' and our control over them: one of the underlying principles of the EU over which no leeway was given when Cameron tried to renegotiate in 2015 is freedom of movement.

border_walker likes this.
  16. florian gassmann

The EU court (the ECJ) deals only with matters of EU law. The Supreme Court is the highest court in the UK and there can be no appeal against its decision today.

17. nixmith

Thank you, I did not know that.

18. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

So, do you still think we aren't in control of our own laws?

19. Mr_Ed

Finally, after 3 years, the government - "the ayes have it" - votes 'yes' to a piece of Brexit legislation. Shocked and amazed.....

20. Mr_Ed

HAPPY BREXIT DAY! EVERYBO... Oh wait!