1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit end....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Happy Independence Day + 3 yrs to you all.

lexus300 likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

That went well.

sodalime likes this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And today the Court of Appeal has overturned the fine on Darren Grimes and ordered the Electoral Commission to pay his expenses.

Darren Grimes:
    Brexit campaigner wins appeal against £20,000 fine

lexus300 likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49048431

lexus300 likes this.
  6. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Darren Grimes, Son of Moggy :)

7. florian gassmann

Darren Grimes said of the Electoral Commission: "I think on a deeper level, this goes to the heart of the fact that we have a quango that is judge, jury and executioner, with very little oversight on the decisions that it makes. You’ve got to look into this and think, is the Electoral Commission fit for purpose? And my conclusion is, it absolutely isn’t."

Until Priti Patel posted the following, I was not aware of who the commissioners are:

upload_2019-7-19_17-52-11.jpeg

8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Is anyone really suggesting that the Electoral Commission is corrupt and are not carrying our their duties correctly?
    Hmmmm. Priti Patel. I wonder what her motives are?

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

10. Mr_Ed

I know there is a more developed 'Brexit' thread, but this point is specifically about the end date because I think we are being misinformed. I state this because even if we leave (do or die) on 31/10/19, it will not be true, we won't have really Brexited.

Lost amongst all the prorogation news, I read this morning that contrary to Priti Patel's recent pronouncement that FOM would end at midnight on Halloween, it cannot. Government lawyers have advised this and the systems aren't in place (why not? it's been over three years since the referendum!).

"Take back control" (of our borders) they said, but whilst free movement of people continues we won't have done that and even if Boris Johnson tells us that Brexit has happened (in November) it will not actually be true.

P.S. Whatever happened to the immigration white paper, lost amongst the fug of Brexit, I think.

11. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

I read this it's in the Sunday Times and it is a real head-scratcher: it begins "The government's plans to end FOM at midnight on October 31 have been torn up after lawyers warned that ministers risked losing a court case that would derail no-deal preparations." The article continues with: "FOM for EU nationals was to be abolished using the upcoming Immigration Bill, but that will not become law in time for the Halloween deadline."

Why not? They have had plenty of time.

The conclusion to the piece is a comment from the Home Office: "Freedom of movement as it currently stands will end on October 31 and after Brexit the government will introduce a new, fairer immigration system."

So someone is not being truthful, the author of the report (Tim Shipman) or the Home Office... I wonder which it is!

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If Johnson wasn't proroguing Parliament it MIGHT have gone through. My understanding is that by proroguing Parliament, any bills currently in the system are lost, because the Parliamentary session ends.
    Oh dear! :p

Burndenpark likes this.
  13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Yes, and a completely evenhanded write up of their qualifications that is too. No bias at all - no siree!!

anotherauntsally and Burndenpark like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

From Day 1 this government (if you can call it that) has had no other objective than to get a no deal Brexit as a way of staying in power.

If that means suspending parliament or ignoring any new legislation or whatever - that's what they will do.

So we will all pay the price of this folly - in fact we already are.

JL48 likes this.
  15. Mr_Ed

New possible Brexit date: 31/1/20? Will they have sorted out how to end Free Movement of People by then?

16. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

It appears not. Interesting article from Diane Abbott in the press today see: https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ement-conservatives-priti-patel-a9094126.html

"It’s been easy to overlook in all the headlines about the coup and blocking a no-deal Brexit, but amidst the chaos the Tories have been forced to make a screeching U-turn on their immigration policy.

The prime minister and his home secretary claimed they would be “ending freedom of movement on day one” of Brexit. But now we find from a ministerial statement, which I expect was timed to avoid news coverage, this is not the policy after all.

In fact, the government will not be ending freedom of movement for at least three years.
    EU citizens who come here after the Brexit date will be able to enjoy freedom of movement rights for 36 months. This will apply to anyone who comes here before the end of 2020."

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Not if we are still in the single market, but I guess it depends on what you mean by sortin g out freedom of movement. We probably do need to stop our pensioners moving to Spain and get them to spend money in Bognor Regis rather than Benidorm. perhaps they could sort out the consistently far larger number of non EU migrants.

18. florian gassmann

I'm not sure it was "easy to overlook" for anyone other than Ms Abbott. The change of policy was headline news last weekend:

U-turn over plan to end freedom of movement on 31 October

And, of course, the policy only ever referred to a No Deal Brexit, so it would probably have never been implemented anyway.

19. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

The problem with this is, government policy changes too often. No EU citizen can feel really secure in the UK. Even those who have been granted settled status could face having it removed at some point in the future.

20. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I'm curious why you are so concerned about freedom of movement when the majority of the migrants coming here are not from the EU and so aren't coming here through FoM?
    If it makes you feel any better - the Bulgarians who wash cars at our local Sainsbury's will be returning home soon. How good are you with a sponge?