1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit end....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 16, 2016.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

HS2 also;)

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I've said many times that Brexit should happen. People need to be accountable for their votes.

I didn't express myself through others, I linked to evidence showing that since the vote, more people have wanted to Remain than to Leave. Contrary to your unevidenced opposite view.

Burndenpark likes this.
  3. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Which is precisely what all 48% should have done. The fact that from referendum day +1 there were campaigns and petitions & legal ploys (Gina Miller) to try to overturn the result - the fact that as we get further and further away from 2016 people can argue more and more that the mood in the country has changed has led to two things: i) MPs delaying Brexit thinking it can be reversed aided and abetted by ii) the EU who also think if they say no "more re-negotiation/no change to the Irish issue" Brexit won't happen.

Whomever becomes PM (and that process should have been fast-tracked due to the countdown to 31/10/19) needs to be a Brexiter and appoint a cabinet 100% behind Brexit - no Amber Rudd, no Phillip Hammond, to get this thing done.

Don't people get it - the longer this goes on, the angrier we get and not everyone who voted Brexit is old.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    lexus300 likes this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

They know and they get it, which is why their behaviour is so undemocratic and will not be forgiven.

5. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

Yes, but not this year.

6. Mr_Ed

So several candidates for the new PM position are talking about extending the deadline, I wonder what the EU will demand this time? Am I correct in thinking last time they gave us more time, it was on the understanding that no renegotiation would take place.... oh and those candidates seem to be ignoring that also!!!

lexus300 likes this.
  7. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Perhaps in future elections only people with an IQ of say >90 can vote, maybe with the additional proviso that they are under 70 years old???

8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

How about: everybody gets a vote.

Some people get extra votes, based on passing a basic civics test, paying (not avoiding) taxes, etc. etc. ?

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Don't get annoyed at me for drawing your attention to a fact.

Nor does it mean I advocate any change to anything. I don't.

Burndenpark likes this.
  10. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Why? If The Lib Dems get a landslide in the next GE will you fall in line with their moves to over-turn Brexit?

Try to explain please- why asking parliament to have control over Brexit is not asking them to use what control they already had? I thought you wanted to #Takebackcontrol- so why object to our parliament exercising it?

It's those darned anti-democratic people in the DUP & ERG?
    They kept blocking Brexit didn't they?

I'm sure I asked before and you shied away.
    If you want to control who enters the UK why shouldn't the EU control what enters the EU?

:D

Never mind- if you think it's bad now, just wait for austerity#2 to come along when the tax revenues dry up. You might just get your wish and see us sink below Nigeria for living standards.

mathsmutt and FrankWolley like this.
  11. Mr_Ed

A referendum is different to a GE. But if the Lib-Dems get into No. 10 I would take that as a massive u-turn on Brexit and abide by that (it wont happen though).

I want control after we leave the EU, what is happening here (the Gina Miller thing) is control before we leave the EU so that certain people can stop it happening.

No, they kept blocking Theresa Mays 'deal' because it wasn't a proper Brexit.

Fair enough - let the EU build a wall or fence across Ireland and they can pay for it too.

The point I was making then and now is I don't care about the money: Brexit for me was always going to cause economic hardship - but as I am already in that situation, bring it on - so more people are in the same boat as me - if we get our country back and control of who can and can't come here I will accept any form of negative GDP for a decade or so.

P.S. Does Nigeria have a border, can anyone from any other African country move to live in Nigeria if they so wish? Is Africa a continent of different countries or a landmass of big 'counties'? Is Europe a continent of different countries or is it heading towards one United States of Europe? I think the later and I don't want to be part of that.

lexus300 and border_walker like this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Bizarre - what are you scared of?

mathsmutt and Burndenpark like this.
  13. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

:eek::( You are positively seeking a race to the bottom, then?

14. Mr_Ed

I was making two points: i) whilst we are within the EU this country has gone to pot, maybe its to do with the EU maybe not - but let's try something different and then we will know. ii) Part of the reason 'Leave' won was because (some) of the majority of people who voted were saying to the government we are sick of unsustainable immigration which you promise to deal with but don't. Perhaps after we Brexit and free movement ends you will be able to - because unsustainable immigration puts too much strain on the public purse and keeps wages down. Furthermore, in my opinion it has fueled the gig economy (young migrants happy to do multiple zero hour jobs - because when they send some of their wages home it is worth more) which I fear, because my time in education is coming to an end and I think I might soon end up delivering stuff on a bike at cr@ppy rates....

That is what I am scared of.

lexus300 likes this.
  15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

and live inside the M25 corridor?

nixmith likes this.
  16. Burndenpark

How?

But it's a pretty safe bet.

Based on this should we assume that you fully supported all the privatisations? The Poll tax? Academisation? The introduction of Cover Supervisors? Scrapping LEAs? Outsourcing the Prison service & Incapacity assessments?

Did GM's thing stop Brexit? No it didn't, so why do you think it was intended to do that rather than just asking that we do things following the proper process?
    And why object to us exercising the controls we have?

We would no longer be members of the EU- i.e. we would have left which fits exactly what you voted for and what several prominent Brexiteers were arguing for 3 years ago.

How bad is the boat you are in? I'm taking a few guesses here- You don't dress in rags? You have regular meals? You can post on here without having to log on to a PC in your local library?

Let's be honest- you are not anywhere near poverty by international standards. You have said that your main gripe with free movement of labour is that your son can't get a well paid job- Could the problem lie closer to home possibly? You have also said that you think the world owes you a favour - because of what your ancestors did- but you very quickly lost interest in that when it was pointed out that part of what they did was plunder other countries. If you have passed on that attitude - I would suggest that this is more to do with your son's failures than the arrival of semi-literate Bulgarian car washers.

Maps are freely available on the internet.

ditto

But you are happy with being part of the United states of Great Britain and Ireland? You aren't arguing for the splitting up of England back to the Danelaw, Mercia, Wessex etc?

mathsmutt likes this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Well we expanded the flexible employment practices ourselves, the EU didn't, it was our choice under our control. In fact most richer EU countries don't have anywhere like the flexible approach we have, but they often have higher unemployment and also higher productivity as a result. The other draw is the use of the English language as millions of younger people have learnt it use it as the lingua franca of Europe and see a zero hours job in the UK as a stepping stone to something better. So as these decisions are under our control, we could restrict the gig economy, if we don't then as young British people currently appear to be less likely to do them then employers may get immigrants from elsewhere - say the Commonwealth countries like Bangladesh or Nigeria to make up the shortfall. They may be able to get more from them for their time than they can from East Europeans.

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Brexit wont stop that. On yer bike mate.

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Very much so. The most enthusiastic use of zero hour contracts is in the public sector and voluntary sector.

20. Burndenpark

It might stop it if there's fewer things being delivered.

I guess there's always the option of sitting at a conveyor belt sorting the different sorts of plastics if China and Indonesia send their waste here for processing?

Depends how badly the economy shrinks.