1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit end....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Or it could show the difference between Nazi Germany and the EU, The former being an aggressive expansionist country founded on ideas about racial superiority and a willingness to imprison and kill its way to a better life for its citizens.
    Contrast that to the EU which seems to be inclusive rather than expansionist (remember that complaint that it takes money from some quite rich countries and dares to spend it on development projects in poor ones- or as it's more commonly phrased "we put in more than we get out"). To use FG's semantics- the EU has no prisons nor does it give sentences worse than fines.(at least that I know of)- to give a more honest comparison on that bit, the EU demands that members sign up to agreements not to use capital or corporeal punishment.

Sometimes it is wrong to compromise- but do you seriously think it better to be strong and go ahead with Brexit?
    No - the EU is not perfect, it's not paradise- but consider what Brexit is offering? We can go out and strike lots of trade deals with any country (great for arms & surveillance sales)? We can cut regulation (you can bet it will be the ones you need)? We can spend and extra £350m a week on the NHS (remember how many lead Breiteers had spoken about privatising or charging for it)?

What do you think Brexit will give us that we don't already have and that you actually want?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

[​IMG]

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Peace in our time.

4. harsh-but-fair

Nearly ...

5. harsh-but-fair

There is so much wrong with this I just had to pop back ...

Hitler didn't invade Russia until 1941 - Pear Harbour was later - December 1941. In 1939 both France and GB declared war on Germany over the invasion of Poland. By June 1940 German forces had over-run Belgium, Holland, parts of France and the British forces on the european mainland. Soldiers from all those countries were evacuated back to Britain. Films about Dunkirk are available.

6. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

There is nothing wrong with my post, I don't think you have followed the full conversation. I had commented that France, in particular (Macron) was being a bit sniffy towards us forgetting, our help in WWII. It was pointed out to me that the defeat of Germany had more to do with Russia and America (especially its industrial might) and I acknowledged that. However, for a brief period we stood pretty much alone (1939-1940).

lexus300 and border_walker like this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Gave us time to re-arm a little.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Without us where would the USA have been positioned to invade Europe? Of course had we not provided the USA with time to get there shi7 together in the first place and then had the USA not got involved Russia would have been defeated anyway.

9. harsh-but-fair

You said
    Quite clearly the French, Belgians and Dutch did as well. But then we shouldn't still be harking back to WW2. It's 80 years ago!

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Forget your history, repeat its mistakes.

11. nixmith

I disagree, vehemently, it is within my Dad's lifetime, so not that long ago.

Furthermore: On 31 December 2006, Britain made a final payment of about $83m (£45.5m) and thereby discharged the last of its war loans from the US. (thanks Wikipedia)

So basically we cleared our WW2 debt to the US two years before their toxic loans caused 10 years of austerity here: have they compensated us for that!

80 years ago? I don't think so.

lexus300 likes this.
  12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It's what we do best. Ad nauseam.

13. harsh-but-fair

Interesting ...

The Liberal Democrats have surged into first place ahead of the Conservatives, Labour and the Brexit Party, a poll has revealed.

The pro-Remain party topped the Times/YouGov survey with 24 per cent, the first time it has been in the lead since 2010 under Sir Nick Clegg’s leadership.

Support for the Brexit Party, which came first in the European parliament elections on 31.6 per cent, dropped back. Twenty-two per cent of voters would back the party if a general election were held now, the poll found. The Tories and Labour were tied on 19 per cent, with the Greens on 8 per cent.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/lib-dems-pro-remain-anti-brexit-surge-popular-3q6gr35cz

Burndenpark and JL48 like this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Here's the graph of the same poll (but YouGove point out that the Lib Dem lead is only just above the margin of error, and that last time this happened - during the "Cleggmania" of 2010 - the Lib Dem lead proved to be totally unsustainable):

upload_2019-5-31_8-30-36.jpeg

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

EU procurement regulations required the contract to be open to bids from EU suppliers.

17. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Senior commenter

absolute insulting rubbish! i mean its not like all of the arguments have dissolved into derogatory language and talking CONSTANTLY about the war :rolleyes:

Burndenpark likes this.
  18. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Who decides who is awarded the contract?

19. nixmith

The ability to give contracts to British companies without having to adhere to EU procurement regulations (see #6256) oh and an end to free movement of people.

lexus300 likes this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The organization issuing the tender. The decision must be demonstrably fair and not based on nationality of the tenderer.