1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit end....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 16, 2016.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Hows our productivity doing? Our more flexible working pattern means high employment but more unstable work. So there are more jobs but the jobs are lower paid. And instead of investing in technology employers keep pay low but more workers . Of course many young migrants like these arrangements that are less common in other wealthy EU states as they can earn more than at home and improve their english and use a job in the UK as a stepping stone for something better. For British workers low productivity and high levels of employment is not so good as they are less likely to travel far, have caring commitments and have to rely on benefits to top up their income.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There were fewer people in full time further education in 1974 than there are now, which makes your point meaningless.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

4. florian gassmann

As I pointed out, exactly the same type of measurement is used in all EU countries, as required by Eurostat.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

People in further education are not counted as being unemployed. It was a stroke of political genius to encourage more kids to go to university instead of being on unemployment benefit.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Lots of folks who do not realise things, even as adults
    I was astonished to hear that on a cruise my S in L didn't know the queen's main residence in London or her name and he is 40. Nor indeed quite a few other things about life in this country.
    When asked he didn't know the prime minister or even who Labour was. In his life, the only thing that matters is football and going out with the lads
    It seems Brexit has passed him by as he only watches sports channels on TV.
    Yes, a lovely man but with limited general education.

7. florian gassmann

The point is that the same measurements are used across the EU - no member state counts people in further education as unemployed - and, according to those common measurements, the UK is continuing to have a considerably lower level of unemployment than the EU average, despite the "fears" of Brexit.

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It would be helpful if we could compare statistics on how many 'employed' people in the UK rely on foodbanks to live compared with other european countries.

9. florian gassmann

Statistics are available if you search for them. About 1.5 million people are supported by the 940 Tafeln in Germany (who supply free waste food to the needy), with countless more served by independent food banks.

In Spain, where unemployment is as high as 60% in some southern towns, tens of thousands depend on foodbanks, staffed by 106,000 volunteers,

In Greece, 12.9% of the population (1.4 million people) are in danger of "food insecurity" due to the economic crisis engineered by the EU. Eurostat data shows that 22.2 per cent of the Greek population were “severely materially deprived” in 2015.

10. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Six more months - whoop-de-doo!

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's the Never-ending Story.

12. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Interesting prophecy about Brexit (a comment under a Brexit story in the Guardian) which may turn out to be spot on:

"Why are we still talking about Brexit? Parliament has voted down the only 2 alternatives: the exit deal and exit with no deal. Since the EU is refusing to renegotiate the exit deal (in any case a new deal would have to include the backstop, which is the result of an international peace treaty) we are not going to exit. There will be an indefinite series of extensions until some future prime minister has the courage to scrap the whole thing."

CWadd likes this.
  13. Mr_Ed

Yes, in retrospect my OP question would have been worded better like this: "Will Brexit happen...?"

14. Mr_Ed

So the Tories will now spend 6 weeks plus sorting a new leader. Then there will be a summer break. I also assume that following these EU elections all the top people in Brussels change. All of a sudden it will be September/October and another extension will be asked for and no doubt granted - the EU probably think the longer the delay, the more likely we are to cancel it & all the while we keep paying in.

And so it goes on, what a mess.

lexus300 likes this.
  15. fredhaise

fredhaise New commenter

Do any historians know.... at other times of national crisis have parliamentary breaks been cancelled (or did Hitler invade Poland in September to coincide with the return of government!) surely there should be some consideration of cancelling this coming summer recess, and the party conference season too, due to the Brexit deadline on 31/10/19.

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I have to say that I'm quite jealous of him.

17. Mr_Ed

I was right, it's being talked about on BBC at 1, and it is bizarre - I follow Brexit news closely, but in the run-up to the 29/3/19 deadline I saw no mention of this at all.

What does it actually mean? If the top people all change around at the EU (following these elections) when do they take up their posts? The repeated message about the deal May agreed is the only deal available, well is that open to review now new people are in charge?

sodalime likes this.
  18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

We negotiated with the EU Commission . The current Commission leaves office 31/10/19 (not a coincidence). The new Commision takes office the next day.
    An accepted condition of the extension after March 29th is that the Withdrawal Agreement is not reopened or renegotiated.

19. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Wow, I did not know that! So basically are you saying the EU allowed an extension on the understanding that the WA is not revisited? An 'understanding' or something more legally binding....? Because, if it is the latter, any prospective new Tory leader who talks about going back to Brussels for a renegotiation (or Jeremy Corbyn for that matter) needs to be corrected.

sodalime likes this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Para 4 of the document said

4.The European Council reiterates that there can be no opening of the Withdrawal Agreement, and that any unilateral commitment, statement or other act should be compatible with the letter and the spirit of the Withdrawal Agreement and must not hamper its implementation

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/39042/10-euco-art50-conclusions-en.pdf

EDIT
    It remains "May's deal" or no deal until 31/10, It's also possible May remains PM until September, so there will only be 6 weeks to do something, if there is anything.

sodalime and irs1054 like this.