1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit end....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 16, 2016.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm not sure they deserve to be associated with the Entry of the Gladiators. I think Julius Fučík had something more noble in mind when he wrote that march!

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

All it needs to put the icing on the cake is for the Prime Minister and her cabinet to turn up at the Commons in a clown car that goes bang when the wheels fall off.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

That Brexit story in full:
    [​IMG]

FrankWolley and irs1054 like this.
  4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I was looking at various analogies when the Titanic one came to mind (old hat I know but always apposite)

The scene is the bridge of the Titanic, the iceberg is visible and beginning to loom large directly ahead, the ship is steam full ahead. The are hordes of people on the bridge but the ship's controls are untouched. Various arguments are going on as whether the wheel should be used or not with the "starboards" and the "ports" evenly balanced. Meanwhile others are looking astern and saying "I see no iceberg", and finally another group are saying that icebergs are only bigger versions of what goes in your G&T and so not to be feared. Finally, the Captain is in her cabin refusing to make a decision.

Edit: Almost forgot, the lifeboat situation, when mentioned, is shouted down as "project fear".

Feel free to add in.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  5. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

image.jpeg

Geoff Thomas likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

7. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Rumours are beginning to circulate that MPs are about to make a big announcement, possibly an extension to Article 50. Can they do that? I thought the EU 27 had to agree.

Maybe a cancellation then?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brex...nisters-reveal/ar-BBS6b78?ocid=spartanntp_edu

Now, in the last few months I have heard and read many times that the Government were wrong to trigger Art. 50 when the did (with no plan in place etc.) But I remember back then getting frustrated that they hadn't done it in the days or weeks immediately after June and I think she left it as long as she could without serious unrest from the 52%

If this delay does happen, that 'unrest' is sure to return. What about all the wasted weeks on that 2017 GE, what about all the time wasted over Xmas - she should never have delayed that commons vote....

I realise there are other 'active' Brexit threads on the forum, but I thought it correct to add this to this one, because of the post title.

8. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Interesting. Thank you.

9. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

10. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Presumably, if some sort of deal is agreed and if the EU want the £39 billion it probably will be, extending art. 50 to allow certain brexit laws to be sorted out means little. We don't really leave until the end of the implementation period 31/12/20, so that would be the time to have your party.

However, if going down the 'no deal' road looks more and more likely then this delay would be a different matter, it would be seen by many who favour WTO rules & who don't agree with the £39 billion bill as cowardice and can kicking (again).

11. FrankWolley

Fair comment here - Liam Fox's comments are crass:

David Schneider‏Verified account@davidschneider 4h4 hours ago
    David Schneider Retweeted Adam Bienkov

GUIDE TO BREXIT PROGRESS:

Easiest deal in history
    Sunlit uplands
    They need us more than we need them
    No deal is better than a bad deal
    It’s not the end of the world
    There's a possibility we may survive it

Adam BienkovVerified account@AdamBienkov
    A no-deal Brexit is not "suicide" "survivable" and better than Dunkirk, says Liam Fox. What a sell. #r4today
    49 replies420 retweets1,188 likes

Burndenpark likes this.
  12. Mr_Ed

To go back to my OP: Will Brexit end....?

I think the thread needs a new title: Will Brexit happen......?

(I think NO).

Well done Theresa May, well done Ollie Robbins, well done Gina Miller (who forced the meaningful vote) - well done John Major, Tony Blair, Nick Clegg, Vince Cable. Well done, the Lords & all the other 'Remainer-types' in their elitist bubble. You have certainly put the little people back in their place.

I doff my cap to you all, I know my place. Back to the grindstone - time to forget about it.

lexus300 likes this.
  13. Mr_Ed

Will Brexit end? I asked in my OP. Well as of 7.18pm on the 13th March 2019 I believe it has.

I have had enough - this will be my last comment on Brexit - we will remain in the EU and it is a disgrace.

lexus300 likes this.
  14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The house of commons has shown itself for what it is, an elitist club with no respect for democratic process. They are a national/international disgrace.

Mr_Ed likes this.
  15. FrankWolley

Worth remembering that Brexiteers have now spurned TWO opportunities to get Brexit passed. If (as I hope) this all ends with us staying in the EU, the blame will be with J R-M et al who voted AGAINST Brexit.

And I'll be laughing like a drain...:D:D:D:D:D:D

JL48 and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The votes of the ERG against the Withdrawal Deal were far outnumbered by the almost entire parliamentary Labour party voting against it.

lanokia and LondonCanary like this.
  17. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Quite rightly so - May's Deal is even worse than No Deal. If Labour voted for it, they would never be forgiven.

JL48 likes this.
  18. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Today's parliamentary action:

n Thursday afternoon, MPs will vote yet again on Brexit, this time on a government motion proposing to ask the EU for a delay to the departure date. MPs tabled 10 amendments to the motion, of which four were selected by the Speaker, John Bercow, for votes. MPs will then vote on the motion as amended, or not.
    The amendments being voted on, in order:

H. Cross-party request for second referendum

Tabled by former Tory Sarah Wollaston, now of the Independent Group, and signed by around 30 MPs, this seeks a delay for a new referendum, which would have remain as an option.

If it passes, amendments I and E would not be voted on.

I. Benn amendment

A cross-party group of senior backbenchers have submitted an amendment that, if passed, would allow the Commons to debate next steps on Brexit on Wednesday next week. The motion, handed in a few minutes before the 10.30am deadline, is signed by Labour’s Hilary Benn and Yvette Cooper and Conservatives Oliver Letwin and Dominic Grieve, as well SNP, Liberal Democrat and Plaid Cymru MPs. The amendment says it is designed “to enable the House of Commons to find a way forward that can command majority support” by effectively allowing MPs to wrest control of parliamentary time from Theresa May’s government.

There is also an amendment to this amendment, from Labour’s Lucy Powell, changing the timing, which Bercow also allowed. If it is voted on (if amendment H loses) and passes then amendment E would not be voted on.

E. Labour amendment

Led by Jeremy Corbyn, this notes the rejection by parliament of May’s Brexit plan, and of no deal, and says the government should “provide parliamentary time for this house to find a majority for a different approach”.

J. Bryant amendment

Notes that the guide to parliamentary procedure, Erskine May, states a motion or an amendment which is the same, in substance, as a question which has been decided in the affirmative or negative during the current session may not be brought forward again during that session. If this amendment was passed it could give the Speaker the power to block another vote on May’s deal as it has been voted down twice by parliament already.

This will be voted on whatever else happens.

Amendments not selected for votes:
    A. Plaid Cymru amendment

This amendment, signed by Plaid’s four MPs, called for a delay to Brexit until 2021, and a second referendum at the end of this.

B. Ruling out a second referendum

Signed by more than 100 MPs, mainly Conservative but also Labour’s Caroline Flint and Gareth Snell, this stated that “the result of the 2016 EU referendum should be respected and that a second EU referendum would be divisive and expensive, and therefore should not take place”.

C. Revoke article 50

Put forward by the SNP’s Angus Brendan MacNeil and Tory remainer Ken Clarke, and signed by about 30 other MPs, this called for the entire Brexit process to be cancelled.

D. Liberal Democrat second referendum plan

Tabled by the the Lib Dems’ 11 MPs, this also called for a Brexit delay and a second referendum.

F. SNP/Plaid second referendum plan

Yet another extension/second referendum amendment, this also called for remain to be an option in the referendum, and for the revocation of article 50 to be possible in the interim.

G. The Chope amendment

Tabled by Conservative Brexiter and regular malcontent Christopher Chope – and signed only by him – it said Brexit should be delayed for two months “for the specific purpose of replacing the UK negotiating team”.

I'm rather surprised that B and C weren't selected for voting on.

chelsea2 and FrankWolley like this.
  19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

No Deal is better than a Bad deal. Brexit means Brexit. We are leaving on March 29th. There is Strong and Stable leadership - May will get her deal through when she brings it back again to parliament. The EU always go to the wire on these negotiations. They need us more than we need them. Nothings agree till its all agreed.

JL48 likes this.
  20. FrankWolley

Hope you are right - but if this does happen, remember the Brexiteers could have had their cake and eaten it, twice. But they failed to do so...

JL48 likes this.