1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit end....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 16, 2016.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Not a few hours before the vote. And not just any old vote remember, this was potentially the biggest in our modern history.

They usually (by their own admission) take many months, often years to come to a decision in these areas.

If you honestly think this timing was not as deliberate as it can get or has no agenda, that's fine.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yep!

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Nonsense. The ECJ was asked to clarify the law, which they did. Nothing more.

It's more concerning that IDS thinks you'll be rioting if you don't have your way. Project fear? I don't recall his concern that remainers would riot if they lost the referendum and of course, remainers didn't riot, so why does he imagine Brexiters would?

Pretty desperate stuff.

FrankWolley likes this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What a wonderful opportunity for anyone who could produce union jack vests!

Geoff Thomas likes this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Nice spin, has nothing to do with the point about WHEN they chose to cement the verdict.

I believe he was referring to if we do not leave/respect the vote or if Brexit was cancelled.

That again is rather different to how you spin it and who knows what remainers would have done if we had cancelled a remain vote and did, in fact, leave the EU?

Pretty desperate spin.

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

There's hundreds of other things that have been agreed in the 580 page document that we haven't been asked about. Should every single item in the withdrawal bill have been discussed with us? How would that be 'cohesive' and how long would that have taken?
    Probably right. Cameron didn't achieve much in his half hearted negotiations. Yet how times ahve changed since 2015 - France on fire, Italy divided and Germany in political flux, we may have got some reforms as a full participating member as the most powerful and cohesive member state had we not embarked on our current policy.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Sounds like a different type of project fear. Still you're not afraid as you said you'd vote Labour.

8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Have you seen them?

Not the guys who write here, but the delete delete delete kind of people who were out on the Yaxley-Lennon march at the weekend.

9. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Oh dear, we are in a tizz again. In most of these case I pointed out the possibility of reversing Article 50, you cited the EC and I pointed out this was an opinion (amongst many) and you objected inferring it must be true because it was the EC. I think it is your eyesight that is rather selective in this.

I do not need to lie in this the truth serves me perfectly well.

If you cannot cope with being confronted with what you have written then that is your problem.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Excuse me, but I have quoted five instances (and there are many more) of what I have written, pointing out (specifically to YOU in three of the five) that whether the UK could unilaterally cancel Brexit could not be guaranteed and would depend on the ruling of the ECJ.

I am very happy with what I have written and quoted to you, even if you were unable to understand or even remember it. As usual, you cannot accept you are wrong and will doubtless bore us all silly yet again with your failed attempts at trying to avoid the truth.

11. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Actually I don't whether you have quoted anything because, strangely, you haven't used the quote facility. I wonder why that is given that after finding the quotes it is then just as easy to use the facility.

I have never avoided the truth any suggestion that I have may very well be a projection on the part of the accuser.

To recap since you have a real problem with this. I have said that you cited the opinion of the EC and that when I pointed out that this was an opinion you objected to that view. None of your quotes contradict that assertion.

12. florian gassmann

I have quoted five messages in none of which did I say any such thing.

As usual, you read carelessly in order to create a non-existant issue upon which you then launch another ad hominem attack. You really ought to look at your own motives for posting in the way you do.

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Update (well possibly) .....I am getting reports on an overseas news feed that the High Court attempt to have the vote declared void has failed.

BBC half mentioning it (one line saying the case was lost) but cannot seem to get it confirmed anywhere......

14. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

The Court was asked to consider it under the expedited procedure....it did so. Given the context of the question, it had to be delivered before the vote to have any meaning. The CJEU did not come up with the judgment in a vacuum. It was asked to answer a question, only in October, and has done so.

Geoff Thomas likes this.
  15. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

And so the drama continues as Theresa May has confirmed that there will be a delay to the key Brexit vote citing the division over the NI backstop as the reason .

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Not at all. The ECJ ruling has opened the doors to getting out of the current impasse and IDS knows it. I understand that May has now cancelled the meaningful vote. Her "My deal or no deal" pretence is finished, not that she would ever have been able to get either agreed. The only way forward is to have the second referendum, which even cabinet ministers are now saying they want.

If Brexiters are certain the nation wishes to leave the EU, they have nothing to fear from a second referendum, apart from the fact that greater scrutiny of funding will take place to exclude criminal influence.

Geoff Thomas likes this.
  17. florian gassmann

UK business has, though, because it would mean another year of uncertainty. The CBI and various business leaders have repeatedly said that they don't much care whether the UK is in or out of the EU - they can cope with either scenario. What they cannot cope with is this continual uncertainty which prevents planning and investment.

18. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The fact that none of the quotes contains what I have said does not mean that you did not say it.

So what is the actual ad hominen that you are accusing me of? Careful now!

19. florian gassmann

The FT (behind a paywall, I'm afraid) is reporting that the attempt to have the referendum vote declared invalid due to over-spending by the Leave campaign has failed in the High Court.

dumpty likes this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Parliament is currently best watched with the sound down and this soundtrack

Get's funnier by the day.