1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit end....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mr_Ed, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Can all regular posters just answer a quick 'Yes' or 'No' (their gut feeling) to this question.

Will we ever Leave the EU?*

(I don't know how to set up a poll, but if anyone does, please do so).

I will start the ball rolling: 'No'

*By which I mean: control over our borders, our laws and an end to payments to the EU. I'm happy for the Government to (within the 2 year article 50 period) negotiate the best deal possible on single market access and other economic issues, but any back-sliding on ending free movement, our laws & EU contributions would, in my mind, mean we have not really left.

2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

There will be years of fudge and faffing and we'll probably end up half in and half out with some arguing we really are out while others assert we are still in. In summary, probably NO.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  3. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

There is a reluctance to trigger article 50. The EU infantilization of government makes them nervous as they will have to make all the decision in the future. They hope by procrastinating something will turn up that will make things OK again.

4. nixmith

nixmith Occasional commenter

'NO'

& Oscillatingass has said everything I was going to say!

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

What is becoming clear about Brexit is that nobody has any idea about what it means and how to implement it. Certainly not in government and the EU.

If it does happen and our collective heads are all facing the right way round I think we will consider ourselves very lucky.

Laphroig and Duke of York like this.
  6. Mr_Ed

Thanks for your input, but your 'gut reaction' view? 'Yes' or 'No'? Do you think it will happen?

7. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Yes, I believe it will

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

No. I think there will be too many compromises and a general election - nobody will be happy.

9. Mr_Ed

So, we are basically, in modern parlance, trending as '#NO'

You see, recently each and every day I have been working, eating, sleeping etc. but also wasting an inordinate amount of time 'worrying' about 'Brexit'.

Perhaps I should stop and give it 2-3 years, before I waste any more brain cells on the matter! (or 12-13 years !)

needabreak likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What for me is becoming increasingly clear, is that the people who dragged us into this mess are as entirely incompetent as I suspected they were.

There are two things we ought to be taking away from the referendum to think about. The politicians who were all for it had proved themselves to be incompetent imbeciles, long before the vote and the majority of voters never had a clue of how complex the matter of leaving the EU would turn out to be, or indeed, whether or not we were better off in or out of it.

Only fools vote for something they don't comprehend. Fools led us into something for fools to vote on and fools are attempting to sort out the mess it resulted in.

To the OP: can you honestly say you knew how complex the legalities of extracting Britain from the EU would be; and now they are becoming clearer, how much Britain will lose lose out on thanks to the rash actions of uniformed voters, what's your hurry?

11. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

Yes. Brexit means Brexit.

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Yes
    The negotiation process may well be fairly long and "interesting" but we'll undoubtedly leave.
    After that who knows

nomad and peter12171 like this.
  13. Mr_Ed

Well to answer your question: Can you honestly say you knew how complex the legalities of extracting Britain from the EU would be? I think I did as much research as I could, before I voted and I don't regret MY vote, I just think the powers that be have already decided that the UK should not leave the EU and that is what will happen.

Just to be consistent, DoY, gut reaction: will we stay, or leave, the EU?

Rajindamum likes this.
  14. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

What Didactylos said.

15. sabrinakat

I don't trust polls anymore, though....

16. Mr_Ed

Please Kat (from America yes?) can I have your gut reaction, will we stay, or leave, the EU?

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

No, its better to stay
    But we should leave because we voted to Leave.
    But the people running our Leaving process are sh!te and I have no confidence in them.

18. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

It's not complex. It could be triggered tomorrow. (or maybe by Parliament next week).

19. sabrinakat

I honestly think the UK won't. There's no coherent plan by this bunch of idiots (politicians); easier to let the legal challenges delay until TM has to call a general election. After that, we're into 2020 and I think 'compromises' will remain; the UK will stay.

emerald52 likes this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If you remember Ed, I said only fools would vote for something they don't comprehend. It's anyone's guess what those fools will make from the outcome of the negotiations.

I'll tell you something for nothing though, In the few years I spent in sales, I could have done with a few more enquiries from Brexiteers to add a bit more bunce to my commission.

Sadly, I moved on from that part of my life too soon. I might have been a millionaire by now if I could have tapped into the anger those Brexiteers suddenly felt once the referendum was announced. They were all reasonable people in the years before the referendum when I dealt with my customers.

I had no idea back then how well B.astard spray might sell to both sides, so as with most things in my life, I lost out.