1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will be jobless in September. Time to do a masters. Advice on full time course?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by alisunflower, Apr 17, 2020.

1. alisunflower

alisunflower New commenter

Hi all

Hope everyone is doing OK.
    I will be jobless from August. I think I will take this sign to take time out to do a masters. Having taught Primary and EYFS for 13 years in state, independent and overseas, I feel like this is a natural step. I'll be honest too, I would love the alone time of study and not being in the classroom for a bit!

I would like to do it in the year and then teach overseas again.
    I also have ended up in a couple of leadership/manager roles. It's never been my plan to 'climb the ladder' as it were, but I am told I should be doing so really. So I guess it may be worth looking at those courses. I've also undertaken courses in my own time, on SEN and getting a Beach Schools qualification. Well-being is an interest of mine too.

1. Are there any current masters that people know of that are great for doing in one year, mainly remotely.
    2. Has anyone been able to do some of the funded ones? I know some European universities offer funding.
    3. Are these possible to do without also being in a school to do research? I will have connections and will do supply but don't want to rely on that too much.

Many thanks if anyone has answers at all. I have looked at old threads but there is not much current. :)

2. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

You can now get a student loan if you are studying a complete masters. Funded postgraduate courses tend to be in areas such as science or for PHDs in Education. Most courses will not require you to be actively teaching but you will need some link to education. I wonder why you want to do a remote course if you are not teaching. I am both teaching and studying ( not in education) on Masters courses at the moment. Of course during lockdown everything is online and most masters courses tend to require a fair amount of online engagement. However, I would not want to miss out on what I learn from informal face to face discussions with students.

3. alisunflower

Many thanks for your reply. Great that you can do both at the same time! I did not think I would be able to. Teaching EYFS usually means I am good for nothing after a day at work! But I might look at doing part time as it does look like many of the Masters relate to having current time in the classroom.
    My original situation was to be teaching overseas in September but with that fallen through, I felt it might be time to take a step back from full time teaching for a bit and make some changes. Thanks for your different take on this.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

this is a really cheap masters programme that is done remotely HERE.

It's supported by the IB, and if you are thinking about moving abroad you most definitely want to be looking at IB schools.....there are a lot more of them than British schools.

good luck.

5. alisunflower

Thank you so much.
    I had seen this UoTP on another thread and it seems to be gathering more recognition. I will take a look at it and very good point on the IB. Thanks for taking the time to share.