1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will applying for post-threshold price me out of the market?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cw1979, Apr 27, 2010.

1. cw1979

cw1979 New commenter

I'm on MPS6, but am unsure if I should apply for threshold. WIll this make me cost too much if I want to apply for a job elsewhere?
    Thanks for any replies

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

To be honest, the difference between M6 and U1 is not likely to be a deal-breaker. It is certainly more money, but a school that is looking for a cheap option is not likely to see M6 as any better than U1.

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Tafkam is quite correct.Please ensure you obtain your U1. It will help you if there is a pay freeze over the next couple of years.Remember nobody from SMT comes on the forum to say they are too expensive to employ.[​IMG]

4. You probably cost too much already on M6! I managed to get a job while on UPS1 but had to give up permanent job and spend a long time on supply first!
    Go for threshold - you've earnt it.

5. Will applying for a job abroad affect your application for UPS? And if you do get the UPS will you be able to keep it if you take a job abroad?

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

In what way would applying for a job affect UPS?
    If you took a job overseas, then obviously that pay would have nothing to do with UK payscales, but on your return you would be entitled to return on the same point as you left (sometimes the point above)

7. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

I'm on UPS 2 and have just been appointed as a Teacher, I think schools prefer good teachers and are prepared to pay for experience. The only stumbling block I've had in interviews is "why don't you want to be a HOD?" Reply, "Because I love being a teacher"

8. I'm a experience teacher on UPS 3. I wish I wasn't and am trying to find out how to reduce my scale back on to main scale. I'm currently gathering information for my MA and have interviewed a number of Headteachers in my area-believe me budget matters. Most Heads are looking for the best they can get for the cheapest salary. I work part-time and want to return to the classroom but the jobs that I've enquired about have all said the same thing I'm too expensive for their budgets. If I am prepared to take a lesser salary why is that a problem. If it puts me in a better position that surely is an advantage for the school. A percentage of something is better than a percentage of nothing. My option now are to go for Deputies which may not even consider me because I'm not in the classroom fulltime and I never really wanted to go down that route anyway. So think carefully before you take an increase.Yes we are all worth it and more. I've got 22 years of experience but that counts for nothing as I sit at home because I 'm too expensive for supply or worse (when I'm in school) I cover the class, until the dodgy supply arrives.

9. I am ups 3 and really struggled to get a job in south west. Hundreds of applicants for jobs and both myself and husband (secondary maths) couldn't get jobs for years. I'm on on NPQH and only got job as management in the end... Good luck. I think you should apply all the same but you'll have to be prepared to see loads of jobs go to cheaper staff.

10. I would go for it. For every head who thinks you're too expensive on UPS, there will be another who will be suspicious about why you didn't apply for it!

11. Did you find any information about reducing your pay to main scale from ups. I am on ups2 and i am finding it very difficult to get back into teaching.

12. It's not legally possible, I'm afraid.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Becky is right.
    The unions have fought hard to ensure a national payscale, and will not allow a teacher to undercut another teacher's salary.
    You cannot offer to work for a lower pay point.
    So . . . school wants to employ you, can only afford M3. You are very keen to work for them, would accept M3. They are not allowed to pay you M3, so take a NQT instead, although they wanted you.
    Daft isn't the word.
    Academies and Indy schools are not obliged to stick to this, but maintained schools are.
    It is bloody daft.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

14. Would anything change with capability or a disciplinary I wonder?

15. No, this does not affect your salary.