1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will agency check references before job offered?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by binza87, Sep 11, 2017.

1. binza87

binza87 New commenter

Hi all
    I am sure I am not the only person concerned about this! I am creating a profile on a well known and popular agency's website (it's free for Brits...) but it asks for contact details for current employer etc at time of registering. Does anyone know whether they would contact my current employer prior to me being offered (and securing with a contract!) a job internationally? Naturally I don't want to cause friction with my current school if nothing came of a new role...
    Thanks in advance!

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

If you are leaving at the right time, such as at the end of the academic year, then how or why does that "cause friction"? If you are abiding by the terms of your contract and giving sufficient notice, then one would hope that your current employer would be gracious and kindly allow you to leave.

binza87 likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

Yes the well known agency will want a reference as they dont want to waste time sending your application to schools and have to wait for references to arrive.

Especially at this time of year if the school is short a few teachers they want to fill vacancies ASAP.

4. binza87

binza87 New commenter

Thanks @the hippo and @february31st I guess I was only concerned as she doesn't know we are looking elsewhere and one of my children is at the school too so I just didn't want it to come out of the blue. Perhaps worth an informal discussion next time I am in (currently on mat leave) - I am looking for August 2018. :)

5. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Yes they will collect references and until your referees have submitted them, your profile remains inactive. You should speak to all your referees before you submit their names to the agency.

binza87 likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

My philosophy has always been that I am leaving and therefore I must tell anyone and everyone who may need to know. This is just common courtesy. Even if I do not actually have a job to go to, the process of telling everyone that I am going is actually quite helpful because it will force me to get my act together and make sure that I get another job! On the other hand, it was this sort of loopy thinking that led me to announce my departure from a certain British school in Romania and then I ended up working for one of the awful Rotten Apple Schools, in Madam A***'s lousy outfit in Qatar, so maybe I will just take back everything I have written! Please ignore all of the previous ramblings. Well, you probably would do that anyway.