1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Will a PGCE (Non-QTS) allow me to teach overseas? I already have QTS and three years experience...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by daniel_laddiman1, Dec 26, 2018.

  1. sparklesparkle

    sparklesparkle Established commenter

    Does dyslexia affect your grammar?

    Could it be you who is talking out of your asre? :p
  2. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Yes it does. I was having difficulty enough trying to learn to "spell properly" so grammer Nazi like you wouldnt be such an asre about it, to learn it properly.

    You will never know what its like unless you are dysleic.
  3. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    Ladies and gentlemen, can we call an end to the hostility please.
    tjh102 and T0nyGT like this.
  4. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Yeah, I taught UK, state 'internal exclusion' classes better behaved than this.
    ejclibrarian and tjh102 like this.
  5. pendonash

    pendonash New commenter

    Be aware though that whilst your certificate won’t say distance/online, the transcript will.
    Written as: Mode of Study- distance/online.
    Most will also ask for the transcript.
  6. miketribe

    miketribe Established commenter

    I think you'll find that most non-British international schools won't really know what a PGCE is, let alone demand one... At my school, I had to explain it to the head and then get a letter of explanation from my professor at the university...
    It could be that you need it in Australia, but there are many other countries in the world...
  7. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    It's never the schools that require a PGCE, it's immigration for when job 'teacher' is on a shortage list and you need to prove that you are qualified for that job.
    sparklesparkle likes this.
  8. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    I agree with Mike....which is shocking in itself. I have had to explain to a number of school directors what "British qualifications" mean. As long as you are "qualified" to teach, then you will be fine.

    Remember, there are a hell of a lot more of other curriculums out there than British schools.
  9. miketribe

    miketribe Established commenter

    I share your shock, dumbbells. However, the OP was pretty specific about exactly where he wanted to work and I'm afraid I have no expertise in those areas.
  10. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Unfortunately we live in the real world and the former colonies of NZ/C/A have a 1950s attitude to what a "proper" teaching qualification should be for their visa/immigration requirements. I remember for acceptance onto my BEd I had to produce five O Level certificates of which Mathematics, English Language and a Science where compulsory before I could enroll. Lucky for me my first degree cut my study from four down to two years as I had the subject knowledge already, so I got extra teaching placements instead.

    In "General", the better your teaching qualifications the "better" countries and schools you get the opportunities to work in. The "Old Style" PGCE is known and respected around the world, other QTS options are not as regarded, its as simple as that.
  11. sparklesparkle

    sparklesparkle Established commenter

    This is also true of the 'colonies' in Scotland and NI. I've been told by a current trainee that she had to re-sit maths as she only got a B. She's doing a PGCE in English... This is in addition to the requirement of a good degree in the subject you wish to teach and stiff competition for teacher training places. Parts of Scotland and NI still have a 1950s attitude towards respect for teachers. The two might not be unrelated.
    Now this I can agree with!
  12. taiyah

    taiyah Occasional commenter

    The former colonies 1950s attitude have simply figured out that there are too many “universities” and “degrees” out there with no standards or benchmarks. Imagine a primary, math or a teacher in general who couldn’t get an equivalent of a B-C (minimum) for A-level in BOTH English and math... Yet, somehow managed to get into a university course specialising in those subjects?! Wow!

    What is true as outlined by those above is, that if you have a Mickey Mouse degree from Disney uni then there are plenty of destinations and schools that would be fine with it. But don’t be shocked if Singapore, Canada, US, Aus and NZ becomes too limited or difficult.
  13. First time poster here. I wanted to jump in because I'm currently in the process of choosing between a PGCE course and a more 'hands on' course (East of England something something).

    Just casually looking at what kind of jobs I would like and what the requirements are, it seems like most job adverts state they require NQT + X amount of experience. No real mention of a PGCE specifically.

    If I have the choice should I choose the PGCE? Will it open more doors for me?

  14. sparklesparkle

    sparklesparkle Established commenter

    The OP can't work in his/her country of choice because they don't have a PGCE. Other countries may require a BEd or PGCE for visa purposes. If you have the option of doing a PGCE, you'd be foolish not to.
  15. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    In my experience, international schools can often be a law unto themselves. Therefore it is sometimes rash or foolish to say, "No, you could never get a job with those qualifications!" or "Yes, you definitely could." On the whole, I would say that a degree and a PGCE or a BEd are standard and yes, most international schools do want a minimum of two years of teaching experience, plus good references from your previous school or schools. However, these things are sometimes a bit flexible, especially if you are teaching a shortage subject, like Physics. And then of course there are plenty of countries around the world that will require additional qualifications and / or experience.

    Last but by no means least, it is my experience that teachers who are applying for international teaching jobs at some of the better schools may have a lot of competition, for relatively few jobs. (This is because the well-established schools with better reputations tend to have fewer teaching vacancies!) Therefore the principals of those will be looking for more qualifications, more experience and better references! On the other hand, you could always get a so-called "teaching job" at one of the schools in the ME where the fat is chewed. Then you will not need any experience or references or qualifications or integrity or brain.
  16. yodaami2

    yodaami2 Lead commenter

    However, you will be increasing your debt considerably compared with, for example, Teach First which is salaried. There is nothing wrong with the school based routes, indeed I think they give a more intense actual teaching experience. Yes there is less pedagogy and essay writing. But hey ho. In my experience, as a curriculum mentor, all routes are passing the lowest standards of teachers year after year.
    BUT it does appear that in some countries PGCE is the gold standard. So if it is your aim to go abroad unhindered the PGCE is for you.
  17. Rafaelchick1

    Rafaelchick1 New commenter

    Did you get an invite with your 75 points? I'm going through the process now with the same amount of points but this is for a 190 state sponsorship with an Early Childhood degree. My degree is actually from Australia already but wondering if I should not bother with waiting for an invite.
  18. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Looking at making a move out of China in the next 18 months. The situation in China is not what it use to be for teachers, age limits, increased qualifications requirements and dramatic tax changes make leaving inevitable before 2022.

    China is not a popular destination at the moment and I forsee a massive exodus of expats in the next couple of years, hence the rent-a-name schools expansion in the Chinese market.

    Dubai is one of many possible options.
  19. aptechglobalvisa

    aptechglobalvisa New commenter

    if you are trying for Australia, you must clear the English eligibility test for immigration. That is IELTS or PTE. So you must have strongest English language command to apply.
  20. dave12hughes

    dave12hughes New commenter

    OP, or anyone else... there are more straightforward routes into the US as long as you are not after a permanent move or citizenship. If you're looking for a short term (up to 5 years) teaching and cultural experience in the States, look at the J1 visa options - www.globalteachingpartners.com would be a good place to start.

Share This Page