1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Will a caution affect teacher job application

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Seadream, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Basically I received a caution for housing benefit fraud. The local council issued the caution, no police involvement. I had a slight change of income for 3 months and didn't notify them immediately. I put my hands up and accepted I should have told them sooner than I did. I know, I'm scum or whatever else anyone wants to say. I did tell them, it's just I took too long to :0( I'm paying back the £300 overpayment.
    My question is will this affect my job applications. Do I have to notify schools when I apply? Do I have to notify supply agencies that I'm registered with?
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Surely the caution that could appear on a CRB check (could it? I'm not sure...) is a police caution. It doesn't sound like you were issued with a 'police caution' if the police weren't involved. As far as I'm aware, the CRB checking process doesn't involve councils.

3. I agree with Mandala1. This is just a matter between you and the council. Nothing would appear on a CRB check, unless the police were involved. What you have done is actually very common. I am not sure what the council issuing a caution actually means. Would it be something like threatening to involve the police if it happens again?

4. YOu need to establish whether it is a police caution. I've never heard of a "council caution". I thought that only a copper could adminster a caution.

5. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

It's definitely not a police caution. I was interviewed by the council 'under caution' and a caution by them. This means if I do similar again then I'll be prosecuted. They initiaaly told me that it wouldn't appear on any record but when I turned up (at the council) to accept the caustion (for a coucil solicitor) he told me that the caution would show up on a full CRB check. Apparantly it shouldn't as it's not a police one but it will as when one is requested, a 'fault' causes this one to be automatically tagged on. Whether I like it or not a school doing a check on me will see that I've been issued a non-police caution for fraud. They're not legally supposed to take any notice of it as it's not a police issue but it'll be there for them to see regardless.

6. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

[​IMG] just spotted all the spelling mistakes above - I was holding my 2 year old whilst typing...

7. mandala1

Sounds like a jobsworth on a powertrip to me.

8. By the time they are doing the CRB check, you'll have been offered the job.
    I think you need to do more checking into this (and it may cost you via a solicitor), or maybe the copshop could help or the CRB people
    • is it a police caution or not?
    • do you need to declare it?
    • will it show up on a CRB check
    If you have been deceived by the council, you MAY be able to contest it, using the defence that you accepted the caution for a trivial oversight on your part and were tricked into this by being told it would not have to be declared.
    You need to clear this up.

9. DM

DM New commenter

The job offer could be withdrawn at a later date (I don't think it would however in these circumstances).

10. http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/en/legalhelp/leaflet33_8.jsp#after the interview under caution

11. mandala1

So yo9u are OK then!

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A formal caution means that, in the eyes of the council, your conduct amounted to an offence but on that occasion, the council was prepared to caution you as an alternative to prosecution. If you agreed to the course of action, you were asked to sign three copies of the caution form; one copy was given to you, a copy was retained on your file at the council and the third copy was sent to a central point within the Department for Work and Pensions. A caution is not a conviction but it is an admission of the offence.
    So yes, it will show on your enhanced CRB check, but to be honest I very much doubt that it would affect any application for work in a school (unless you are applying for the Bursar's job!)

13. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thank you for your succint description nomad.
    I was initially told that it wouldn't show up on a CRB check but was only notified otherwise when I signed the forms admitting an offence. It's just all terribley embarassing and at interview should I mention it and expalin myself as they will see it on an enhanced CRB?

14. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I would only mention it if asked.

15. I know it's embarrassing but I would mention it at interview as they'll find out anyway and it's better coming from you. I wouldn't worry too much - it's not as if you were cautioned for possession of drugs. I appreciate it's a worry though.

16. If you mention it at interview and they use it against you then they would have withdrawn the offer post CRB anyway

If you do not mention and they offer you stand the risk of withdrawal

So mention and you lose nothing ... dont mention and you risk losing everything

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

From what I read on Bauble's link, it should not show up. So, I am not so sure after all. You may find that information from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau may clarify.
    If you have received no clarification by the time of the interview, you may want to explain the circumstances and state that you are not sure whether it will show up on the interview but are letting them know in case it does.
    I am an HT and if it were me interviewing you, I would just complement you on your honesty in letting me and go ahead with the appointment process.
    After all, the main thing is whether you have anything in your past which would prevent you from working with children, and omitting to tell your council about a change in your financial circumstances is hardly anything for the school to worry about.

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

*** you are not sure whether it will show up on the <strike>interview</strike> CRB but are letting them know in case it does.

19. What I was trying to say, but much better put.

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thats 'cos I'm a silver-tongued Cavalier, me.